2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 360 won't start after cap rotor and pluge/wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Mike's Dodge1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram 360 won't start after cap rotor and pluge/wires

Hey guys I'm looking to get my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 going ASAP. Yesterday I removed my stock plugs wires cap/ rotor etc and replaced them . My truck will crank over but doesn't even sound like its trying to fire. I triple checked my firing order and connections and still nothing. I pulled one wire and checked and the spark seems very weak (orange). My fuel pump is pushing fuel and I have good fuel pressure

It ran great before but after 100,000km I changed them to be safe.......lol.....should have left it alone

Appreciate any help I can get

Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked to see if all of the plug wires are snapped into place on the rotor. I would also check the wire going to the coil make sure that is tight. I would then take the cap off and make sure that I didn't bend the piece of metal on the top of the rotor and then re-install. Don't get to frustrated it is probably something simple, it usually is. Good luck

Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
dwilkinson

Mike:
Check and make sure rotor was put on correctly. Make sure the tab on the rotor matches up with slot on shaft.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I agree with the guys above that it is probably something simple. If you are getting a very weak spark then that right there is your problem. I would start tracing it down. If it is weak on all plugs (or at least a couple) then I would check the new distributor cap and rotor. If that seems well then keep going back on the ignition system.

Good Luck.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
davideblinn
Default 2001 dodge ram wont start

i know this is an old post but i just googled the same problem, 2001 ram wouldnt start

had power from starter, ignition coil, but no power going to the plugs..

if you have power past the coil and wont start it should only be, the distributor or the crank shaft sensor and the way to tell the difference between the two.....

try to start your car and if your RPM's dont move when your trying to start its the sensor, if it is moveing its the distributor.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I had the same problem once. Seems the threads on my dist. were messed up a little and I thought the cap was tight. Turned out it wiggled just a little and the first time I tried to start it, it snapped off the end of the rotor. After running a tap through the threads to insure the bolts screwed all the way down and installing a new rotor, it was fixed.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 360 won't start after cap rotor and pluge/wires