2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil press. problem...and gear question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 PM
spudbud2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil press. problem...and gear question

i have a 98 dodge ram 1500 and since the 4 years i have owned my truck this has only happen 2 times so its just is a once in a blue moon thing...but the first time this happen..i was going down the highway and i stopped at a stop light then i heard a ding looked down and i had no oil pressure then it went up....down...up...down....then when i start to drive...its fine...that was about 5 months ago....but today i was pulling a trailer with a truck on it and it did the same thing...could i have a sensor going out or something?

and the 2nd thing is i have 305/70/16's and im new to the whole re-gearing thing...any suggesting on what kind of gearing i need to go with? i mainly drive country roads and barely go in the city stop and go traffic....and once in a while ill pull a loaded trailer

Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is your pressure at idle? while driving? miles on engine? sounds like a wiring/ sender/ guage problem

Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea sounds like the sending unit is going bad.

As far as gearing, what do you have now? if you have the crap 3.21, or 3.55 I would jump to 3.92, or a 4.10....

Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could be a sensor, could be sludged up pickup tube or drain tubes from head, could be weak oil pump, could be low on oil, could be a little excessive bearing clearance.

depends some on how deep you want to go, and what else you might want to do.
if you have a leaking rear main and wanted to fix it, then you can drop the pan, inspect things, replace rear main, oil pump, clean pickup tube, inspect for sludge.

and/or you could replace oil sending unit.

or you could just use some gunk brand engine flush, followed by an oil change and monitor it.

this is really a stupid question - but is it full of oil ?

i once saw a car that NEVER received an oil change for several years, but did get more oil pour in regularly. dip stick showed full of black, heavy oil. dropped the pan and the sludge was about 4 inches deep. it only had about 1 quart of oil in it. LOL.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 AM
spudbud2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol yes i change my oil every 3000 and i keep up with my oil level im not that bad haha...but i will check on all of these things and get back to ya....thanks guys...and about the gears....i believe that i still have stock gears i bought it use and the guy that had it b4 me...idk what he did to it but its just kinda slow taking off with the 33's on there and the gas millage....

Quick Reply: oil press. problem...and gear question