2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 ram 318 RANDOM missfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:50 PM
RamasmyDD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ram 318 RANDOM missfire

Hello, My name is Jeff. Live in Smyrna TN and just recently bought a 2001 Ram 1500 318 5spd ext cab. Truck only has 62k original miles and was original right down to the serp belt and cap and rotor.

I didn't notice this engine miss until after I bought the truck and now know that it is random and may happen or may not. It only does it when the rpms are below 1k and will only sputter 2 times and then clears up. which gear does not matter. It does not do it at idle, only under a pull. Once it does it it seems to go away for a time and then it may happen again awhile later.

I have tried a new cap and rotor, and did the TSB on the plug wire routing. No CEL. The wires are all good and ohms are in spec.

Has good power and getting approx 17 mpg so I don't beleave its a CAT issue and just passed the OBDII emissions inspection, and to pass it can not have any fault codes active or stored, but I need to get a code reader connected just to verify.

My next step I guess will be plugs, but since its only random and seems like once the ECM sees the missfire it adjusts the timing to make it go away. I feel it may be a programming issue. Anyone know of any issues like this and have a solution?

Last edited by RamasmyDD; 05-16-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM
RamasmyDD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to finish this thread. I pulled the plugs and found ALL of them to be gapped at .055 or better. They were original and were replaced and gapped to .040. Seems to have taken care of my miss for now, atleast until its due for another tuneup.

Quick Reply: 2001 ram 318 RANDOM missfire