2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie (in all ways) with a dead dash - mostly..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
VA4X4farmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Newbie (in all ways) with a dead dash - mostly..

Hi all,
Just registered here - and just bought a 1995 RAM 1500 from my daughter. It's a 5.2L, 4X4, short bed, no frills truck. It's been a farm truck the last few years, but I want to make it do more - like go places other than rounding up cows... 33" tires assist in that... We have a BUNCH of trucks around here, but this is the newest that's a Dodge (sad, ain't it?). I have a couple of Ford 4x4's, and this problem hasn't ever come up....

Anyways, my problem - the dash cluster (an incomplete sentence if there ever was one...)

The only guages that work are fuel level and oil pressure. No alternator, temp, tach, or speedo. I've pulled the cluster and traced the flimsy circuit panel behind it. The traces all check ok. I checked as best I could the two big plugs going into the back of the unit. They seem OK. I pulled the cluster of wires against the firewall under the hood on the left, going into the module. They were dry, so I cleaned them up and put in new dialectric.

Dodge is telling me, without looking at it, that its the cluster - and they want an ungodly amount for that, and just under $200 for the circuit board, that they KNOW is bad. I humbly disagree.

What am I forgetting to check? The dash lights work fine. All else, sans the backup lights, works fine. (I'm changing the neutral safety switch this week - I think that'll fix it, but if y'all have any better suggestions, please feel free!)

Thanks for reading, and in advance for any advice!

Peace

Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to the bone yard and get one from there. they should be about 50 bucks. I think the ram van clusters are interchangeable, but don't quote me on that. Not 100% sure. good luck.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Reverse light issue is almost definitely the neutral safety/back up switch. Be prepared for a faucet of tranny fluid when you change it. Have the new one ready in your other hand to make a quick swap to avoid major spillage. As far as the instrument cluster I would have to agree that it is bad. if you get download the service manual that can be found on here and are handy with a multimeter you can check for continuity across the circuit board. Let me know if I can help any further. I will do my best to assist you.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 AM
hutch1973
Captain

I'd just go junk yard hopping to find a new cluster, or check out ebay. Don't believe it's a common issue for the clusters to go, so probably would have good luck finding one. Not sure how much the service manual would help on here, since it's 2001, and I believe they changed the cluster assemblies in the late 90's. Any Ram dash with the non electronic odometer should pop right in.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
VA4X4farmer

Thanks for the advice! I replaced the switch, and, sure enuf, that was the culprit... I checked the salvage places around here, and was quoted anywhere from $200-$500 for the cluster.

I pulled the panel again and traced the traces with an OHM meter. Found one a little "resistive". I bridged it with solder and gunna put it back in later today.
And although I'm not hopeful, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks all!

Last edited by VA4X4farmer; 05-24-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you decide to try replacing the cluster, you can get one on ebay for a reasonable price. shop carefully. (i got one for $25) the mileage will be stored in the speedo - you might be able to swap yours in if you care. the prndl is a replaceable module in the center, so you could reuse yours if the new cluster is from a stick. i think there are 2 versions of the older models (tach and non-tach).

Quick Reply: Newbie (in all ways) with a dead dash - mostly..