2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Average Life Expectancy of 5.9, 5.2 Liter V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my '97 1500 4x4 c/c brand new and have have had only minor issues to deal with. However, while the truck was on warranty it was in the shop literally every month for various things, but ever since it has been nearly trouble free. Currently have 177,000 miles on the original tranny, engine, tc, diffs, etc. Minor things like axle seals, track bar, heater core, etc have been replaced. I still trust it to haul my *** across the country wherever my job takes me. My only concern is my oil pressure is not where it used to be when idling.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
I actually laugh at who ever mentioned looking at a Nissan or Toyota. They do have a little more umph from the factory, but you might as well throw a motor in an tin can. There have been many many complaints about the bodys rusting out at less than 20,000 miles. Just my opinion.
As we all know that was a huge problem back in the 80's. However, I've never heard any complaints about a new Nissan or Toyota rusting. I have however heard the complaints about how the doors on the Dodges seem to rust. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. Of the paint that is known to peel off on 2nd gen Rams?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by atc250r
Minor things like axle seals, track bar, heater core, etc have been replaced. I still trust it to haul my *** across the country wherever my job takes me. My only concern is my oil pressure is not where it used to be when idling.
Mentioning the heater core reminded me the evap core has serious issues on these trucks. The owner of the repair shop I used to work for when I was younger told me that he has never seen a 2nd gen Ram where the evap core hasn't been leaking on. This was when I was having A/C issues and couldn't figure out where it was leaking.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Mentioning the heater core reminded me the evap core has serious issues on these trucks. The owner of the repair shop I used to work for when I was younger told me that he has never seen a 2nd gen Ram where the evap core hasn't been leaking on. This was when I was having A/C issues and couldn't figure out where it was leaking.
Funny you should mention that. When I got my RAM I was impressed with how clean and well cared for, especially under the hood, it was. Here's a pic:

The only thing that bugged me is the A/C drier. Both input/ouput tubes are covered in rust. You can just see it on the left where the quick-disconnect is. I'm sure I'll have to replace it soon enough, but what could cause a part on a well-cared for truck to deteriorate like that?

BTW, this is what it looks like now since I put on a K&N CAI.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 05-26-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As we all know that was a huge problem back in the 80's. However, I've never heard any complaints about a new Nissan or Toyota rusting. I have however heard the complaints about how the doors on the Dodges seem to rust. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. Of the paint that is known to peel off on 2nd gen Rams?
Well they were bad for that then, and now. Mainly the body is suffering from surface rust from the factory; only because of the super thin metal they are using. Also the New titan Frame is literally rusting out at 20,000-30,000 miles. The frame issue is what I was speaking about.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, that is one of the cleanest engine compartments ive ever seen, next to Silver's
how do ya keep it clean, mines all dusty and dirty

Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
dude, that is one of the cleanest engine compartments ive ever seen, next to Silver's
how do ya keep it clean, mines all dusty and dirty
Aside from the previous owner having taken excellent care of it, I always Gunk and pressure wash my engines regularly to keep any buildup off. Since I motocross every weekend I have to keep it clean or the dirt will just accumulate on anything with even a trace of oil on it. I also don't go muddin' in it like I used to in my other trucks.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
kRoEhM1972

Thanks guys, for all your help!! I feel much better about purchasing a higher mileage RAM 1500. I know that Dodge vehicles are not without their fair share of issues, here and there. But I like the look and feel of the Dodge Trucks, more so than Fords and Chevys. I rarely put 4-5000 miles a year on a vehicle, since I live in the heart of Denver, so everything is right within a couple of blocks from each other, but I need a truck for hauling out old appliances from our building. Ever try shoving an oven in a PT Cruiser? Does not work! Plus I like to get up into the mountains and go camping, ever drive a PT Cruiser off road.....does not work. So like I said I need a truck and have wanted a RAM 1500 4x4 for a minute or so now, but was worried about the reliability aspects of a sub 200k mile engine. Everything else can be fixed or replaced easily, but the engine is a pain in the butt to have to replace from the get go. I feel fine now purchasing a 150k+ vehicle. Anything else I should know?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Just to let you know. You won't find junk yard parts in Denver. Also, I don't have the rust issues like some of the others and mine is almost devoid of paint and has its fair share of scratches. Just check the usual stuff when buying a used vehicle. They will all have their issues.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
KY2500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, Toyota offered to by back all Tacoma's affected by rust on the frame on years 95-00. My brother bought a 97 used for like $5K and they bought it back last year for $12K. They were offering even more money if you bought a new Toyota truck. The program is still in affect, but because of the economy they are now going to repair or replace the frame on all affected. I know of people who scowered the trading sites looking for rusted tacoma's so they could make money on this.

Quick Reply: Average Life Expectancy of 5.9, 5.2 Liter V8