2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve stem seals

So after working everything out with the O2 sensors the truck started to run funny again. Not the same as last time. IT sounded funny kinda of hollow. Anyways I started going through everything and figured I would check the gap on the spark plucks. While pulling them one spark plug was oily so I peered down into the cylinder and noticed it had a ton of gunk in it. My buddy said that it usually indicates a bad valve stem seal.

I know the general idea of doing a vavle stem but, I've never actually done one. How hard is it and do all of think that the valve stem being bad sould actully cause the cylnder to feel up with gunk. I deffinetly have an oil consumption problem. It uses about 2 to 3 quarts every 2000 miles. Also is there an easy way to clean out the cylinder really good. I don't really want to pull the heads beacause I've been told that if you take them off and they have a crack you'll never get them back on.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You sure everything is good with the Hughes plenum?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:40 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I'm going to be doing some work on the intake and I plan on replacing it then but, I'm fairly sure that it's fine. The cylinder that has all of the build up is the only one with the build up inside all of the rest look clean when I look down in there.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Well if you do the valve stem seal, there is a couple way to do it. With air (you make an adapter for the sparkplug hole) or a rope. You stick the rope in the cylinder and rotate the motor by hand to bring the piston up to where it just touches and holds the valve up. Do a search here, I've seen a couple threads talkng about recently.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

use the rope, much more reliable and foolproof.

ting = the sound made by a valve falling down into the cylinder, generally followed by a lot of cussing.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Not to jack the thread, but, DV I always see one of the mods you have done to your truck in your sig ,and was wondering how you did the cracked dash mod?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 AM
engineblock
Veteran

yea i did the valve stem seals on sunday and it was really easy, i just rented the tool to compress the spring from autozone, and i used the rope

Old 05-30-2009, 01:33 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Originally Posted by zman17
Not to jack the thread, but, DV I always see one of the mods you have done to your truck in your sig ,and was wondering how you did the cracked dash mod?
To do that mod first you buy a dodge. Then you let it sit in the sun.. Wait a while till you hear the ding. Then you have the cracked dash mod. IT's really cool and adds 12 pig power to your truck.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Originally Posted by zman17
Well if you do the valve stem seal, there is a couple way to do it. With air (you make an adapter for the sparkplug hole) or a rope. You stick the rope in the cylinder and rotate the motor by hand to bring the piston up to where it just touches and holds the valve up. Do a search here, I've seen a couple threads talkng about recently.
This is exactly why I posted. I was a little nervous about using air. The rope idea is a great idea. I really don't want to take the heads off.

Does anyone have an idea on how to clean the cylinder?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by ICEMAN_CH
To do that mod first you buy a dodge. Then you let it sit in the sun.. Wait a while till you hear the ding. Then you have the cracked dash mod. IT's really cool and adds 12 pig power to your truck.
LOL ! Good tips, but I just can't seem to get it to happen on my 98.

Quick Reply: Valve stem seals