2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back Up Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 10:38 AM
tbubbacango
|
Default Back Up Lamps

My 01 1500 keeps blowing fuses for the backup lamps
i have looked from one end to the other and cant seem to find the issue
the fuse may last 5 min to 5 days
has anyone had any thing like this before
or are there any common places to look for shorts i may be over looking
thanks

Old 06-02-2009 | 06:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

when i first bought my truck i was blowing backup fuses from time to time and couldn't figure out why. one day i was adding some aux backup lights and was going to use the bare pin on 4 way connector for a ground on my meter, and was also planning to tap that ground wire for my backup ground. well - no ground. strange but oh well. put truck in reverse and began probing for backup lights and just by accident found 12v on the wire connect to the 4 way bare pin. wtf. previous owner had wired in backup light to the ground pin - i suppose for some kind of custom setup. so everytime i hooked up a trailer, i was shorting backup lights to ground and blowing the fuse.

back to your problem. consider whether your problem is related to towing or other aux lights. if not, remove your backup light bulbs and see if the problem goes away. that'll tell you whether its a bulb/socket problem or not.

edit - you may already know, but reverse light is active in the 6 and 7 pin trailer light connector. center pin.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 06-02-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Back Up Lamps