2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing the catalytic onverter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 AM
rczanstke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the catalytic onverter

I own a 1996 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

I've been thinking about removing the cat from my truck. I remember reading something about it on a different thread here, but I did a search and couldn't find it. (Though I did not search very hard, there was probably something there, I just did not want to look very hard. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

I know there is an O2 sensor, but I couldn't remember if it was before, after, or both. What I want to ask is:

Is it worth the trouble? What would be the effects of this? and is it possible?

I realize that these questions have probably been answered many times before. Again, sorry for asking the same question that has already been answered.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people report getting a MIL light (CEL) I gutted mine a long time ago and never got one.
Your exhaust will be a little louder.
Depending on where your truck was built, you can either have 2 or 4 O2 sensors. Only the trucks shipped for sale in California had 2 cats (4 O2 sensors)

It is very possible, but why are you wanting to do it? Is it clogged up, or are you just wanting somthin to do?

EDIT: some also report a sulfer smell coming from the pipes dir to the lack of the catalyst being there.
You can either remove the whole thing and install a piece of pipe to reconnect it to the rest of your exhaust, or you can cut the old one down and gut it and put it back up.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 06-04-2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: After thoughts....
Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 AM
rczanstke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that it is clogged.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should have a sensor that goes into the front side of the cat and then one behind it.....if you do get a code, you can get a sparkplug nonfouler to move the sensor out of the direct exhaust......be sure to remove the front one b4 ramming anything in there

Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they also sell a "chip" that plugs into the end of your 02 sensor to make the truck think it's running fine

http://www.thefastman.com/02Simms.asp

Quick Reply: Removing the catalytic onverter