2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Build Sheet link, one in DIY is DOA.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebhays27
That is pretty interesting what are some if any of the recalls for the 2nd gen?
I sent off for mine I never knew you could do this Thanks Laramie
Well, I know about the hood latch replacement.
They also had a recall on the early rams for the cats...
And the service PCM update too
Maybe others will chime in on this.
I never got worried about the recalls, since that truck has only ever been in the shop one time for a mechanical repair, and that was over 7 years ago when the tranny fell on it's face.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good. I am an original owner so I do have my sticker. Fact is I ordered mine, it was pretty cool when it arrived and the sticker said "This vehicle specially made for -----" Or something like that. I may order that build sheet just to compare.

BTW Laramie I agree, if it's not a big deal, I avoid the dealers (like doctors) at all cost. It seems like every time you go in for them to fix one thing, you come out with something else broke. Then comes the head ache of arguing with them and getting the "We didn't do that!" Yeah Right!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:48 PM
gary30mazak
Rookie

I did the same thing. Custom ordered it. It came withe the window sticker saying this truck was built exclusively for my name. It was a nice feeling to finally get what I wanted beside what I could afford.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Rebhays27
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
BTW Laramie I agree, if it's not a big deal, I avoid the dealers (like doctors) at all cost. It seems like every time you go in for them to fix one thing, you come out with something else broke. Then comes the head ache of arguing with them and getting the "We didn't do that!" Yeah Right!

I agree I went to my local dealer (one that's not closing) and tried to find the adapter that is for the winch that lowers the spare. The dealer told me it doesn't have a special adapter. When I finally got it off if it didn't need a special adapter I don't know how it is supposed to come off. When I called him back he said his books doesn't even show one for the 01 Ram 1500. Now I'm on the hunt for one I may just drill out a 1/2 drive socket to fit over the knuckle.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I agree I went to my local dealer (one that's not closing) and tried to find the adapter that is for the winch that lowers the spare. The dealer told me it doesn't have a special adapter. When I finally got it off if it didn't need a special adapter I don't know how it is supposed to come off. When I called him back he said his books doesn't even show one for the 01 Ram 1500. Now I'm on the hunt for one I may just drill out a 1/2 drive socket to fit over the knuckle.
Yep, they're not the brightest bulbs on the tree. I have been thinking about flushing out my power steering unit for a week now (just to avoid future problems) and no dealer can give me a straight answer as to what to put in it. I have been having to hunt around and reading TSBs to figure out what to do. This I tell my wife is why I do the work myself. It calls for ms5931 and if I take it in and some dummy puts in ATF+4, pretty soon I will have a broken pump and not know who to blame it on.

BTW I would say you can find your adapter at the junkyard, or I think it is just a square connector, a 1/2 inch should probably fit just fine. You can use a long extension and a breaker bar (or ratchet) and be good to go. Probably cheaper too (not to mention it will be shiny chrome. Mine is black)

Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

laramie, you might want to get that latch fixed....wouldnt want your hood smashin your windshield when youre goin 70.....
after i got my build sheet, i wrote back and asked about recalls and they gave a list of ones that had been fixed

Dear Dakota:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
regarding your 1995 Dodge Ram.

In response to your email regarding recall information, we would like to
inform you that a review of our records indicates that your 1995 Dodge
Ram (VIN: SS330469) does not currently require service for any recall
campaigns. If your vehicle is involved in a future recall campaign, we
will notify you by U.S. mail. Please keep us informed of any change of
address.

However, as per our records the following recalls have been completed.
1) Recall Campaign # 709 STEERING SHAFT
2) Recall Campaign # 722 TRANS COOLER QUICK CONNECT
3) Recall Campaign # 748 FUEL TANK ROLLOVER VALVE
4) Recall Campaign # 7631 VAPOR CANISTER/PURGE SOL
5) Recall Campaign # 820 TRAILER TOW/ACCESSORY WIRING
6) Recall Campaign # 875 IGNITION SWITCH WIRING

If you seek anymore information, we suggest that you contact any
authorized dealership or feel free to contact us. You can find a
dealership using the "Find a Dealer" area on the Dodge web site at
www.Dodge.com.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Dafie Brown
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

3 foot 3/8ths drive extention will work just fine.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
laramie, you might want to get that latch fixed....wouldnt want your hood smashin your windshield when youre goin 70.....
Well, I appreciate the concern, but that was one of the many things that go rebuilt after the great meeting of Ram vs: Power pole @ 45MPH. I got a new hood, grill, headlights, bumper, windshield, radiator, front frame brace, front right wheel, and new hood latch. That was all replaced at a GM dealership (That is a mistake. just FYI), about 3 years ago... Supposedly it was the upgraded latch... I dunno, I still watch the little things like that just to make sure....

Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
Yep, they're not the brightest bulbs on the tree. I have been thinking about flushing out my power steering unit for a week now (just to avoid future problems) and no dealer can give me a straight answer as to what to put in it. I have been having to hunt around and reading TSBs to figure out what to do. This I tell my wife is why I do the work myself. It calls for ms5931 and if I take it in and some dummy puts in ATF+4, pretty soon I will have a broken pump and not know who to blame it on.

BTW I would say you can find your adapter at the junkyard, or I think it is just a square connector, a 1/2 inch should probably fit just fine. You can use a long extension and a breaker bar (or ratchet) and be good to go. Probably cheaper too (not to mention it will be shiny chrome. Mine is black)
I have the kit it just doesn't have the adapter with it. I'm beginning to think it is an add-on
If I can remember I'll post a photo of it to show the pattern. I tried several tire shops and they said they have never seen the pattern before it looks like a circle of shark fin shapes. It was molded onto the guide tube to the winch so If it is add-on it is a good add-on.
The dealer also said it should just fit the extension that comees with the kit but it doesn't
The kit extension fits perfectly into a 1/2 drive socket so I think i'm just going to use an onld socket and drill a hole across it for the pin to fit in and go from there.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I have the kit it just doesn't have the adapter with it. I'm beginning to think it is an add-on
If I can remember I'll post a photo of it to show the pattern. I tried several tire shops and they said they have never seen the pattern before it looks like a circle of shark fin shapes. It was molded onto the guide tube to the winch so If it is add-on it is a good add-on.
The dealer also said it should just fit the extension that comees with the kit but it doesn't
The kit extension fits perfectly into a 1/2 drive socket so I think i'm just going to use an onld socket and drill a hole across it for the pin to fit in and go from there.
If you are not the original owner, then someone definitely has modified that. I have taken down my spare a couple of times and have never had to use anything other than what came with the jack kit. The only thing I can think of is that somebody modified it to prevent spare wheel theft, or some kind of screwed up body work was done. Those are the only things that make sense.

Quick Reply: Build Sheet link, one in DIY is DOA.