2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:59 PM
pimpinphil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac help needed

my air stopped working out of the blue, when i checked it the other day the compressor would kick on and off,every 3-4 sec. so i figured low on fluid, i bought some and hooked it up and the gauge said 45 psi, which was about right for the temp outside. but my compressor wasn't kicking on today for some reason,and the can says the compressor has to be running in order to read the gauge correctly. so do you think my compressor took a crap? or will it not work until the truck is fully warmed up or something to that nature? im stuck,thanks alot.
phil

Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Make a jumper out of a paper clip and disconnect the low side pressure switch plug on top of the accumulator , jump the plug and the compressor should keep running. And wear gloves and eye protection. And btw, don't do that for too long, just for the one can for now. And there is a reason why it's low, most likely the evap core is bad. Get a can of 134a with dye and see if you have any visible leaks under the hood. If it is the evap core the dye won't help , as you can't see it without removing it.

Last edited by zman17; 06-13-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Frogsnot

i had this problem with my dakota a while back. i was told that there is a "security" with the clutch to the ac. it will turn on and off like that when the ac fluid is really really low. It kicks on and off like your saying until it is filled more. it took me about 3 cans to fill it to normal. If it stays on and reads 45 psi then its something else but if it is still kicking on and off or its not on at all try adding more ac fluid to it.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The security is the low pressure switch. That's why you use a jumper! If the comp. runs it's not bad , just low on r134a

Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Frogsnot

ahh ok didnt know that. sorry

Quick Reply: ac help needed