Tranny Trouble Diagnosis - Page 2 - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Tranny Trouble Diagnosis

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Trouble Diagnosis

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

I am going to drive around some neighborhoods until I find a truck that has the tranny i want. Ill come in the middle of the night and start taking it out. If I dont have time to finish that night, ill cut some engine wires so the truck wont start and my plan wont be discovered by big bob. Then ill come back the next night and finish removing the tranny. Before you call this stealing you should know that I will install my transmission in the truck and fix the wires. Next day there will be a new forum user asking why their brand new performance transmission doesnt shift right and looks old and crusty. haha

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J415 View Post
That won't fix your problem. You need to open the tranny up, see what the problem is then fix it, ESPECIALLY if it's the planetary gears.
x2

Sure cure isnt going to fix a noise.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Warhawk-AVG

Originally Posted by MonteC View Post
x2

Sure cure isnt going to fix a noise.
Spoke with a reputable tranny mechanic today....he said to try to change out the carriage bearing 1st to see if it clears up the growl..he said a worn bearing or worn out rubber buffer ring can cause issues that make a growling noise. If that doesn't fix the problem at least it was a $30-40 attempted repair than throwing $1800 at a problem that might not be the issue.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Thats a good point, make absolutely sure the noise is IN the transmission before you tear it all apart. I could be a rear end or other drive line component problem.

Im giving advice over the internet, i can only go by what you tell me. My advice can only be correct if what youre telling me is correct.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by Warhawk-AVG View Post
Wife to truck to a reputable transmission guy and he says the transmission is shot and needs rebuilt...
I said what I said because you said it needed a rebuilt but you wanted to install the sure cure kit to see if that helped. That's all. Either way, good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Trouble Diagnosis

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: