2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N Vs AEM Dryflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpnorris87
K&N's suck do they???? Why would we put them on a multi million dollar aircraft, with one single turbine engine that puts out over 650shp in the dirtiest nastiest enviroment aka Kumar's Homeland, Iraq? You think clean air is important on your V8, try something that spins at 57,000 rpm. I work on these engines every single day. You fly them without the filters, you see major losses of power, lots of erosion on your compressor blades, and glassing (when sand melts turns to glass and sticks to components) in the hot end. If Royles Royce protects their $473,000 engine with a K&N, I personally think its good enough for my truck.
And I'm sure RR has K&N make filters to their exacting standards.

Here's a K&N compared to an AC delco paper filter, both are the same application filter, the paper filter has 5.5 times the surface area, how does the K&N outflow it? The holes are a hell of a lot bigger!

More food for thought http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

K&N's suck do they???? Why would we put them on a multi million dollar aircraft, with one single turbine engine that puts out over 650shp in the dirtiest nastiest enviroment aka Kumar's Homeland, Iraq? You think clean air is important on your V8, try something that spins at 57,000 rpm. I work on these engines every single day. You fly them without the filters, you see major losses of power, lots of erosion on your compressor blades, and glassing (when sand melts turns to glass and sticks to components) in the hot end. If Royles Royce protects their $473,000 engine with a K&N, I personally think its good enough for my truck.
i didn't even think of that, the apaches run k&n also.

and the k&n is shorter when stretched out because its cotton gauze not that paper crap, also with all that surface area crammed into the same space its no wonder that the paper filters are so restrictive. without oil the k&n wouldn't filter worth a damn because its the oil that catches the dust, its a tacky oil that the dust sticks to, thats why you have to clean it more in dusty environments.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with you guys, but not to say which one is better. At the same time, imo it depends on the drivers maintenance and care, and road conditions to compare any filter system. And by the way, that is one beast of a bumper you have there. Bet people move out of the way when they see you coming, that truck is a beast!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's look at it this way, there is absolutely no filter on this earth that can filter out every piece of dirt.
Maybe K and N filter's don't catch as much as the OEM replacement filter, but you mainly have to worry about particles of dirt that you can see. The little particles will get burnt in the cylinder.

And trust me, If it were a crap filter, NHRA Nitro dragsters wouldn't use them in their 7,000+ HP cars.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah those nitro cars really get those pistons singing. the only drag race i've ever been to had those running that day and every time they took off it sounded and felt like one long explosion that faded off into the distance. the fastest one hit 315mph in 1/4 mile. i think his time was like 4.8 seconds, i know it was between 4.5 and 5.5.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:31 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
And trust me, If it were a crap filter, NHRA Nitro dragsters wouldn't use them in their 7,000+ HP cars.
Since when do Top fuel/Funny cars run air filters? They only need to run long enough to make 1 pass.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Ive been busy as hell over here in Iraq....we are getting ready to leave so trying to everything fixed to go back to the house.

Thanks for the bumber comments....Im stationed up in Fairbanks, AK so I fabbed up a bumper that would take out a moose! I cant wait to get back and work on my truck!!

Im not saying that you are right or wrong by which filter you run....I have all the stuff to clean and re oil filters at the hangar. If you like paper filters...go ahead. K&N's are ten times more durable. This means that dirt and debris dont cut holes in the filters. Our filters are not specially made for Royles engines.....they are just K&N filters that bolt on to the cowlings. K&N filters dont filter air the same way paper filters do. K&N's use oil to filter out dust and dirt, where as the paper filters use the actual paper filter element to filter out the stuff. Of course the paper filter is going to have more filter element to make up for the "surface area" that the oil takes up. Turbine engines suck in alot more air than even a top fuel dragster ever could. Parts are so tight tolerances that when the are at room temps they seem loose to allow for expansion when they heat up. If you want or like paper filters, run them. Use what in your opinion fits your application the best. I am just pointing out the facts that K&N's will go way beyond what any vehicle will ever need.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Since when do Top fuel/Funny cars run air filters? They only need to run long enough to make 1 pass.
They don't use them anymore. There were a few in the late 80's that tried it out for a year. Back then there were less rules and regulations, and many of the cars were having major problems when the other car during the run exploded. They tried using K and N filters (of a sort) to help keep debris from the other cars out of their intake. You don't see it as much now as compared to then. If memory serves me, Don Garlitts, was the one that played with it the most. (You know, the one and only MOPAR god???)

You can go back and look at some of the videos from back then, and it wasn't uncommon to see one car blow up, and about a fraction of a second the car in the other lane would follow suite. All because a piece of the other car landed in the housing.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM
sawtooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok there is no one right filter to do the job. They all have there + and - on both ends.

Quick Reply: K&N Vs AEM Dryflow