2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Scratch on the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 PM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, maybe I should do the other side to match, I've already got the custom scratching system down pat

Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 AM
xray99
Banned

Found this browsing around. Not sure how deep mine is, never did the fingernail test:

MODERATE SCRATCHES

Most window cleaning pros will tell you NOT to repair scratches like this on your own. If you run your finger over the mark and your fingernail falls into the groove, the window is too damaged to repair.

Still, for those die-hard do-it-yourselfers, you may have a possible solution. A second paste treatment, consisting of equal parts dry mustard and vinegar, may cure
slightly deeper scratches. Apply as you would the toothpaste, and buff with a clean cloth. If your scratch is still noticeable after buffing it's time to take things to the next step - professional scratch removal systems.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
MODERATE SCRATCHES

Most window cleaning pros will tell you NOT to repair scratches like this on your own. If you run your finger over the mark and your fingernail falls into the groove, the window is too damaged to repair.

Still, for those die-hard do-it-yourselfers, you may have a possible solution. A second paste treatment, consisting of equal parts dry mustard and vinegar, may cure
slightly deeper scratches. Apply as you would the toothpaste, and buff with a clean cloth. If your scratch is still noticeable after buffing it's time to take things to the next step - professional windshield replacement.
Fixed it for ya.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 AM
xray99
Banned

I take it you are not confident of the mustard/vinegar treatment ... ?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Don't feel too bad. I made a similar mistake many years ago. I had a 91 Accord years ago before I got my Ram. I was used to the old fashioned windshield wipers before these new ones came out. The passenger side wiper went bad and Honda wanted like $10 for a new wiper element, and I was used to paying like $1.95 for the old ones with the clips at the ends. So I went and found one that would fit. Well, during one rain storm the bugger slid off and it scraped my windshield just like yours. Nothing got it out. I just put up with it till I sold the car. A new windshield for that car would have been over $200 (that's when most windshields were around $100). Learned two lessons 1) Honda parts are freaking expensive, 2) Don't be cheap, and get the right stuff when you need it, cause you'll kick yourself later. So I felt like a fool and lived with it. Now it's GONE and that is one monkey OFF MY BACK. Now I feel better. And in all these years the ones on my Ram have never gone bad. Honda uses some cheap *** parts.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
I take it you are not confident of the mustard/vinegar treatment ... ?
On a salad, sure...on a windshield, not so much.

Quick Reply: Scratch on the windshield