2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dana 60

ok i bought a front and rear dan 60 with 4.10 gears out of a 99 ram 2500.. any idea on if that is a CAD or non CAD axle? cause from what i understand, this model had both

another thing is once i change out the gears to get my new ones, i know with a manual locking hub front, i can run spool and be fine on the road because my hubs are undone and both wheels are technincly spinning free, but can i do the same with a CAD front? i mean it still disengages the two shafts... right or am i missing something here

Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my understanding, they didnt get rid of the CAD until 01 or 02, but I am not completely sure on that.

But, either way I wouldnt suggest a spool in the front unless you plan on puting a lockout kit on it. Even if it does have cad, it only unlocks the passanger side axle, which the drivers side will still be spinng the dif. and driveshaft. I have also heard it can cause quite a bit of drag, almost pulling the truck to the drivers side.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

And, even if the truck was only a wheeler, I would still personally never put a spool in the front. A deteroit locker would be one thing, but a spool offers absolutely no differential, and turning on the trail would be a nightmare. A detroit would be bad enough.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I agree

Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only thing you should ever run in the front is a selectable locker, and with a dana 60 you have your pick.

ARB air locker, and ox lockers are probably your top choices, but look at them all.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice find. how much did you have to pay for them.

99 dodge 2500 will be a vac cad.

why are you changing gears. is 4.10 not low enough ?

a cad is a suitable unlocking mechanism, but you'll have to do something other than a vac cad, so that you can control it. posilok would work.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well the guy had two trucks, one with the 99 5.9 V8 and a 01 5.9 cummins, the cummins was a roll over and the 99 had a blown motor and trans, so he sold me the axles out of the 99 for $525 with a 6 month warrenty so i know they will work, and he is putting the entire driveline and trans motor everything out of the 01 and putting it into the mint body 99....

i am going the 37" tires and very little motor mods for right now so i will be going eith either 4.88 or i really think i want 5.13 for the mud... but i think i may just go with the 4.88, because i will be driving at least 20 miles every couple of days and it is my daily driver.... feel free to put input on this issue, i am torn between what gears to go with anyway so i am up for comments...

thanks for the info ont he spool issue but i already have the posilock kit sitting on the back seat of my truck... i already knwo those issues as i have had them for a while with the vac....

the rear came with a posi so i think i will just go with some detroit truetrac in the front and rear if possible... i that, i mean i am pretty sure i can in the rear, but i dont know about the front. i mean i want the unstoppable traction but still be able to drive down the road.. i dont know. i hve heard of people braking detroit lockers with just 33 inch tires where i go muddin... so i am kinda leriy about that. unless someone can tell me differantly... what diffs do you guys think i should go with? that wont completely brake the bank ( ARB LOCKERS) but stil give me better the open diff traction that wont burn out or break

by the way just so everyone knows, i am not just putting the axles under this thing... i am putting the axles, 7 to 9 inchs of suspention lift, and as for motor work, i was going to go with the aFe intake, full custom built exhaust (truedual) and some ignition work with the hypertech programmer jet chip, and a rebuilt trans ( heavy duty towing).... so this truck will not be just half baked

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 06-19-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Great score on the axles! You bought both for what one would usually cost...

Having a spool in the front is dangerous deal even with a posilock. A ratcheting locker is a pita as it is. Even off roaders, and mudders I used to hang with back in the midwest didn't run them. Some sanctioning bodies won't allow a front spool or non selectable locker. Locking hubs will make the application streetable but having a vehicle with no steering capabilities off road is still a dangerous nightmare.
If guys you run with are breaking detroit lockers there isn't much else you can put in there strength wise. Is this breakage in Jeeps, full size trucks or? Replacing the factory LSD with another is kinda like dressing a pig. I would reccomend a carrier based differential over a lunch box style one.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 06-19-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea, the guy that i hve heard of breakin multiple detriots was in a jeep tj...

so you are saying the detroit locker is a good thing to run in front. i mean the rear has the lsd i think, my dad told me ( he has them for me as i am in iraq) that the rear was posi so i am thinking it is with LSD. so i am probably going to leave the rear alone for right now... but the front i want to get something better the open, but like everyone is saying, i want to turn and drive down the oad normal...

so the detroit locker, thats selectible? any problems people have with that one?

and my next question because i know the diffs are all bought on spline count... axles are out of a 99 2500 like i said, any idea on what spline that is?

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 06-19-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:56 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

In all honesty...I would put something in the rear and leave the front alone
Term wise, LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and Posi (Positive Traction Differential) mean the same thing except "Posi" or its acromyms are General Motors terms. Dodges use a "Trak-Loc" made by Dana.
Most Jeeps run a Dana 30, 35, or maybe a Dana 44 (if its a rubicon or old V-8 jeep) They break pretty easy if abused.
The detroit locker is non selectable. It makes a great rear locker, offering good strength and a postive mechanical hookup.

Quick Reply: dana 60