2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 truck stalls intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Granta1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 truck stalls intermittently

Hi I am new here . Looking for the answer to intermittent stalls. I have a 2000 1500 2wd 5.2 . Last week it just quit at a traffic light. would not start. called a tow truck, but before they could arrive 10-15 minutes I tried starting again. It ran for about 5 minutes and stalled again. I left it in a parking lot till later that evening after rush hour then was going to try to limp home. It ran perfect.
4 days later same senario except I was alittle prepared. I had a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, 45 psi when it stalled. but what i saw on the dash leads me to needing help. unpon stalling I pulled over, left the ignition in the on position, the dash gauges and lights were all dead no reading as if the truck was turned off. After sitting there for 5 minutes I turned the ignition to on gauges came up lights came on, started right up drove home perfect.
Another thing I noticed during this last stall was that codes on the ecc before the stall were not ther after the stall, ie: check engine light had been on before the stall with a p0720 code, output speed sensor, but light was out and code was gone after the stall. code came back after driving a while. nwas told by local mech that output speed sensor could not cause stalling. Of course I checked the battery connection and cables.
Only thing common to these two days was the outside temp was very high It is hot in Alabama! 95ish both times. truck was not overheating.
I need my truck but am scared to drive it and be stuck in traffic.
Any help/ideas are appreciated. Bob

Last edited by Granta1; 06-18-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd get the battery checked. A low or dead battery can cause these trucks to do weird things. You can get it checked for free at most auto parts stores.

Next thing, unfortunately, could be a bad PCM. Make sure all the connections going into it are pushed in all the way and secure, no loose wires or anything.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-18-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You might also want to check the crank pos. sensor and the wires to it. (Heck, test all the sensors) And if you have a tilt wheel , I suppose a wire could be bad in the column. Also check all the ground wires to the motor, mainly the one on the driver front of the intake behind the ac compressor. All worth a shot before you go throwing money it.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Granta1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the battery checked today. OK, I guess I will check all the sensors tomorrow , but if it only fails intermitently chances are sensors will test ok. Any suggestion are appreciated!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The wires and grounds that go to the sensors and motor are also something you need to check. And the connectors, including the plug at the PCM.

Quick Reply: 2000 truck stalls intermittently