2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dorman Products

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dorman Products

Has anyone ever heard of them? Do they produce good parts? I bought a A/C compressor bypass pulley for a few reasons. One, my a/c doesn't work and hasn't worked since the day I got the truck. I never use it anyway so it doesn't matter to me. Second reason is, I want to see if it will improve cooling by just the slightest amount because I'm going to be taking the entire a/c system out, including the a/c radiator. But, when I got my package in yesterday, I was inspecting it and noticed that it said on the bottom, made in china. Go figure. Anyway, I emailed Dorman themselves about the whole product asking them for every piece of information about it as they could give me. I have yet to get a response but I'm sure I'll get something tomorrow, hopefully. Any opinions?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:48 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

almost everything is made in china or mexico.
dorman is a big time parts company. i think they're fine.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

ok, well i asked them about the metal it was made out of, because it looks like it was a cheap crappy piece of aluminum that i could chip off with a screw driver lol, we'll see though. putting it on today

Old 06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They have been around for like 200 years, LOL so even though the parts are made elsewhere, maybe they have stiffer quality control, as opposed to other companies like Walmart for instance.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

well just got done ripping the whole a/c system out. wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be, but i can't get the expansion tank out without that damned tool to take lines off with. can i get that at advanced? just curious. anyway, i was disappointed when i found that the holes for the bolts on the compressor bypass pulley bracket are super huge(why they gave you bushings) so when you tighten the bolts down, it digs into the metal. not a big deal, but they could've at least included washers in the kit. lol i'll head to the store and get some. all in all, it looks pretty cool, lots of space, and i imagine a lot easier to get at the thermostat housing! lol i'll post pics as soon as i can

Last edited by wjxavier; 06-19-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes about the tool, but, if you are ripping it out anyway, just cut it.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

i did cut most of it, but i didnt have the tools to cut the pipe. i was lucky enough that the aluminum lines were thin enough i could cut them with a pair of dykes...but the black coated lines are hard as hell. have to go and get a small tubing cutter i guess

Quick Reply: Dorman Products