2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle seals & Differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 PM
asonofsam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle seals & Differential

Hopefully someone can answer this question. I'm working on my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 4wd. Does the differential have to come out to replace the drivers side axle seal? There is an excellent file on pavement sucks with pics and all where they have removed the diff in order to replace the seal. But other sources don't say that really needs to be done. If using a long piece of threaded rod in the manner of a drawbar to pull the seal in, is there enough room to replace the seal by just removing the diff cover, knocking the old seal out with a long drift punch and positioning the new one? Then the threaded rod with a backer for the seal would be employed to seat the seal. Doable? The passenger side appears easier, am I right? I have everything apart now cause I did universals and ball joints, so, any advice?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The diff needs to be removed to do the driver side, and so does the whole passenger need to come out to do it. What you read about making a shaft with screw threads is just for the passenger side, which is easier to do with the special tool.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 PM
asonofsam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Appreciate the info. /

Quick Reply: Front axle seals & Differential