2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driving w/ overdrive off

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran about 45 miles of mountain roads with the OD off while rolling around 60-70mph without a problem. The engine kept cool and ran like a charm the whole time. I figured this was a lot better than leaving the OD on and making the tranni kick down on every hill.

On a side note, my old explorer's OD was not working for years and its ancient engine (which had about 200,000 miles on it) survived thousands of miles of cruising over 3000 RPM.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM
sawtooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'96 Ram Pickup Owners Manual;
"When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, or whenever frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the "O/D OFF" button. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting."

Some sage advice from our friends North of the border:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2000/0...n-troubles.htm

As a past & present owner of trailerable boats, I've always been leery of pulling, at freeway speeds, a trailer that had been recently dunked (ie bearings, brakes, lights, ect).

Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
98BlueSport
Professional

Well i think it just depends on the truck. I've had a snow mobile in the bed and 2 on a open trailer, and ive never had a problem. Pulled down I-75 at 70mph with no problems. just when i get to the hill in west branch i kick her out of 4th. never had a problem with my truck yet

Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
2 Marks
Professional

If you are towing with O/D on and your tranny isn't switching gears up/down and all around then keep it on. I town my small boat with O/D on but it weighs nothing. My 4k boats needs to run with O/D off all the time. If your pulling 3200 then you have tall gears or are hauling like 75-80MPH... your trailer tires/bearings cant take that.

Quick Reply: Driving w/ overdrive off