2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Outside Mirror Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009 | 12:16 PM
EricCartman
|
Veteran
Default Outside Mirror Questions

Has anyone ever messed with taking apart the outside mirrors? I want to add a few lights on the underside of my mirror (kind of like the newer trucks have) to light the ground around the doors when I use my keyless entry.

I read in the FSM that they can not be serviced... so no luck there.

What I did notice, on the underside of the mirror, and the part that is "fixed" and does not rotate, there is a big circular disc that looks like it may pop out. It would be perfect if it does, because I could route wires through there are drill a hole small enough to get the wires in/out.

Just thought I would check with everyone to see if it has been done while I try to decide if I want to attempt messing up a perfectly functional mirror.

Cartman

Old 06-27-2009 | 01:12 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I have worked on the 97 mirrors (like on my sig) but I can't tell you about the new ones. I wouldn't mess with a perfectly good mirror if I didn't have to. A smarter and easier alternative is to add lights to the bottom of your truck under the door frame. That will light up your approach and is much easier to wire up. You also have plenty of room to work and no one will ever see what you did unless you want them to. Easy to remove for sale also if you want to.

Quick Reply: Outside Mirror Questions