2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mind of its own...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
The O2 sensors should be replaced every 50K miles.
Pardon me VW, but why can't you run the rear O2 until it quits? As long as it doesn't pop a code, why replace it? All it does is tell the PCM if the catalytic converter is OK.

However, I do agree with you on the front (pre-cat) O2 sensor. That one is much more important.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 02 sensor was replaced probably 3000-5000 miles ago...did it myself. none of that is the issue really. i'm pretty sure its the CAT for loss of power. as far as clunking goes, well thats another story lol

Old 07-01-2009, 02:16 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does your state require emissions testing? if not then i wouldnt even put a cat on it.....you dont have a rear o2 sensor so no isssues there

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Pardon me VW, but why can't you run the rear O2 until it quits? As long as it doesn't pop a code, why replace it? All it does is tell the PCM if the catalytic converter is OK.

However, I do agree with you on the front (pre-cat) O2 sensor. That one is much more important.
I've noticed, over the years, that O2 sensors don't always "go bad". They can slowly degrade in their ability to work and not throw a code. Hence why many a person's cat will get plugged. Now, I realize that these trucks came with faulty cats from the factory, but I look at replacing the O2 sensors as a pair, at scheduled intervals, as preventive maintenance.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just throwing **** into the wind here (don't know why i said that. It just sounds funny i guess. Its early for me lol)

Could the hissing be some kinda vac hose or something going to the tranny? Then it would be one problem.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

we dont have a vac line like older vehicles....good guess tho

Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

well, i do have to get a new cat because my state DOES require emissions testing. and as far as the hissing, it was exhaust related. i'm not too worried about it. this weekend i'm gutting it because my inspection is up this month and i know it wont pass anyway. so it'll give me and excuse to tell my wife i need to spend money on the truck

Old 07-02-2009, 12:37 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

do they use a sniffer or just look for a cat?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 AM
04 neon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wjxavier, I believe you hit the nail on the head, as I had a similar occurrance on one of the Taxis I used to wrench on when I worked at Happy Trails. It sounds like a piece of your catalyst broke off and was causing a restriction, then broke into smaller peices and was expelled. As far as the clunking when accelerating/ engine braking, that sounds like a u joint going out. Get under there and check your u joints.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

yea i know my ujoints are bad...theres a lot of stuff bad on my truck, i just havent had a place to fix everything yet. my wife and i finally moved into a house with a nice garage i can work on my truck in im a happy guy.

and yes, they do use a sniffer for emissions inspections.

Quick Reply: mind of its own...