2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water pump pulley puller needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trick is, the night before soak it with WD-40 or whatever lubricant you have available. That way it comes off way easier.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
new wp will come with new pulley attached, so don't worry about destroying it. but don't destroy the fan...
Did you forget about the core charge? That's an easy way to loose that...

Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 PM
jjtroutbum
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen
The trick is, the night before soak it with WD-40 or whatever lubricant you have available. That way it comes off way easier.

That's what is happening tonight. I am calling the project on account of darkness till the AM. I'll give it ago with the belt on again in the morning but just tried it a had a friend on the other cheater bar and it still slipped.
Wonder how much super glue could go in that weep hole. lol

They didn't mention a core charge guess I'll need to dig up the receipt. And see if there is one

Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my dad did his recently and i improvised a strap wrench for him. i took a strip of rubber and wrapped it around the pulley (for traction) then took the ratchet-less end of a ratchet strap and wrapped it around the rubber and put the hook on the driver side of the frame. it worked like a charm.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:15 AM
jjtroutbum
Professional

Hmm That sounds like a good and do able idea as well. I'll use it as plan B for tomorrow thanks Sheriff420

As I don't have much faith in the repeat of plan A.

Last edited by jjtroutbum; 07-03-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Ram_Me
Captain

I think there's a core charge only on the remanufactured water pumps. I just replaced my water pump too. You don't need to take off the pulley, mine was frozen up and broken anyways. It blocked off one of the bolts that I needed to take the pump off.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 AM
04 neon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
my dad did his recently and i improvised a strap wrench for him. i took a strip of rubber and wrapped it around the pulley (for traction) then took the ratchet-less end of a ratchet strap and wrapped it around the rubber and put the hook on the driver side of the frame. it worked like a charm.
That's one of the best ideas I've heard yet.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
I think there's a core charge only on the remanufactured water pumps. I just replaced my water pump too. You don't need to take off the pulley, mine was frozen up and broken anyways. It blocked off one of the bolts that I needed to take the pump off.
That's correct. I just didn't know if he went the new route or the remanufactured route. If it's new then it doesn't matter and you can beat the heck out of it.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
jjtroutbum
Professional

Well figured out after I went and pulled out the pump fan and shroud together. That the tool needed is a water pump spanner wrench which the local parts store lent to me. Five minutes later after bolting the pump back in quickly to hold it in place and with the help of a friend and a couple of cheater bars it was off.

After removing the accessory rack I figured out that there has also been a slow leak at the bypass hose for sometime. So I gotta get that part and some cleaner to clean up the substantial mess in its general vicinity in the morning.

Once again thanks to all for your ideas and help.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:03 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously late now, but the proper tool makes life so much easier. The lisle kit comes with a wrench and another tool to keep the pump from turning. It cost $35, but was worth every penny. Especially now that I have used it twice. One thing that is a hassle is that the OE pump had a bolt on pulley where the aftermarket did not. It just had holes so I had to stick bolt in it when I had to take it off the second time. Still much easier than any other way. I still don't understand why they desiged it so the fan and shroud had to be removed at the same time.

Quick Reply: Water pump pulley puller needed?