2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad paint job? from dodge

Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clear coats used now are crap. You used to get a much longer life out of the old single stage paints than what you can now from the two stage paints. Yes, the UV does destroy the clear. The only way to make your paint last is to keep it in a garage. Don't blame Dodge too much for this either. My wife had a 97 Honda Accord and it had stripes up and down the hood, top, and trunk. Looked like a freaking Zebra.

Some of you may be surprised to find out that the constant meddling of the nanny government blowing crap about this global warming nonsense has led to auto paints no longer being solvent based, but now are water based. Let's see how many problems that creates down the road.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So you thing global warming is bs?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 AM
WTL
Professional

Global warming could be true even without it being manmade. But enviromental regs have led to all sorts of crazy laws and inferior acting materials used in automobiles. I believe brake pads have also been affected because of asbestos.

The primers appear to be a real problem. My 95 had badly peeling silver paint on the sides. The red paint (it was two-tone) was unaffected. Some sort of compatability issue. I see a dodge driving all over town that is half primer - its incedible how much peeled.

I now have 6 coats or Regal red rustoleum rolled onto my truck and will wetsand in stages. Will post when I get done, but it looks better than what it was. Wont bother with clearcoats as my original paint job also had peeling clear.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

i got a few spots on the roof that ain't grown in 2 and a half years so i aint too worried bout them yet, now the rust and dents are gonna get taken care of soon

Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Global Warming is BS lol

Being in Florida we have sun about everyday, as long as you put a nice coat of wax on it every 3 or 4 washes it will last a long time. I reccomend using Mothers Synwax, not the Caranuba cleaner wax as it has little abraisives in the wax to help clean the paint, which can over time wear through the clear coat. It is great to use every now and then, but the Mothers FX synwax is the stuff. Goes on easy, comes off easy, looks great! My truck still looks great and I've had it since 96.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
I have 2 spots on the body that I would like to get fixed. When I got the truck It came with this rust spot on the rear fender thigh on the lip. Now its rusting. The other one is on the pass side. Idk what he hit but its huge and ugly. From the bottom of the fender all the way to the top of the bed.
sounds like the previous owner decided to use the fender for a strap point. had to be a woman, or maybe a city boy.

global warming is just a government conspiracy. i was watching a show on the discovery channel a few years ago and on it they were talking about ice core samples. the earth has always gotten hotter and hotter every year then it'll get an ice age and cool everything off. then the cycle continues again. while humans may have sped up the natural process a little, it isn't as drastic as all the hippies make it out to be.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
sounds like the previous owner decided to use the fender for a strap point. had to be a woman, or maybe a city boy.

global warming is just a government conspiracy. i was watching a show on the discovery channel a few years ago and on it they were talking about ice core samples. the earth has always gotten hotter and hotter every year then it'll get an ice age and cool everything off. then the cycle continues again. while humans may have sped up the natural process a little, it isn't as drastic as all the hippies make it out to be.
Exactly! Hit it right on, the earth has hot spells and cold spells. Current carbon dioxide levels hover around 385 parts per million, a relatively minor constituent of earth’s entire atmosphere. This number is less than 4/100ths of one percent of all gases present. Infact, a single volcano eruption emits more C02 then the entire human population does in a single year. That includes factory's, transportation, and regular respiratory breathing.

I wrote a term paper on this for Earth Science class in college. It's good to know the truth is getting out there. I'm all for cleaning up the streets and not littering, but enough with us depleting the ozone layer garbage.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad's 98 dakota has this problem. His roof and hood is gray. Pretty much all the paint is gone. I told him the other day we need to do a ghetto paint job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bad paint job? from dodge