2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valve stem seal job

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
butchistheman334
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve stem seal job

Hello every body!!!

Tomorrow I will be doing a valve stem exhaust and intake seals. On a 2001 Dodge ram 1500 2wd

my air compressor is broke so im going to be pulling the spark plug still but will be filling the hole with string so that the valve dont drop
Is what i need to know is what is the torque specs for the rocker arms and valve cover and would just like to hear if there is any other things i should know before taking this on. like what is the best way to bring the piston down so that i dont have to fill the spark plug with a crap load of string. Just some useful tips...

thank you

Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't know the torque specs but download the service manual here.
http://www.rm-indy.com/wavefiles/2001ramsrvcmanual.zip

remove all spark plugs and the serpentine belt. put a socket and pull bar on the crank pulley bolt. one cylinder at a time, rotate piston down. feed in a few feet of soft, durable nylon string. rotate piston back up until it stops solid. rotate piston up/down a few times to give it a chance to slide around and seat. do that cyl and move on.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 PM
butchistheman334
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now when you say rotate pistion up and down a few times to give it a chance to slide around and seat.

what do you mean, that needs to slide around around and seat? the string?

thanks again this is around been a help

Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the string. it will be on top of the piston in a random pile. when you bump the piston up a couple of times it'll give any high spots a chance to slide around and settle out. you'd like for the string to completely fill up the head chamber and fully support the bottom of the valve and not have any air voids for the valve to possibly drop into.

Quick Reply: Valve stem seal job