2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about setting seals at proper depth

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
peterfromme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about setting seals at proper depth

I'm trying to get stuff ready in preparation for replacing the rear pinion seal on the rear diff (9.25) and the axle seals on the front diff (Dana 44). I've read various posts and pavementsucks.com and it seems there are 2 main methods for seating these various seals: 1) seal drivers; or 2) large sockets.

I went to the quad4x4 website and found the seal seating tools (seal driver) and they seemed expensive for what they are.

Am I ok with just using big sockets to set these seals? Pavementsucks says use a 1 3/4" socket for the front seals, but what size should I use for the rear pinion seal?

Also, if I use a large socket, how do I know that I've set it at the correct depth? Anyone have any other seal setting suggestions?

thanks,

Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take note of the depth of the stock seals before removing them. As for using sockets as seal drivers, use a socket that is just slightly smaller than the seal outside diameter.

Quick Reply: Question about setting seals at proper depth