2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sloopy Steering Fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 PM
broylz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloopy Steering Fixes?

i have a 98 SWB Ram, V6, Auto with 186K miles on it and the steering is fairly loose. the steering wheel can move from the 11 to 2 positions with out moving the truck. ive started getting used to it but pulling a small horse trailer and having my wife drive it more make me want to tighten it up a bit.

would this bee something like a tie rod end or more like a steering nuckle? any ideas?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 PM
98BlueSport
Professional

i'm going to think trac bar. just had to put one in my truck.people will give u many different brands. i went with a moog bar. life time warenty. tightened my streering up pretty much, but there is still some slop in the gear box

Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM
broylz

my truck is a 2wd. the only time ive ever heard of a track bar was to locate an axle. maybe im wrong?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by broylz
my truck is a 2wd. the only time ive ever heard of a track bar was to locate an axle. maybe im wrong?

You are correct.

Sounds to me like you have worn tie rod ends or something. If you are not good at checking these and replacing them, take it to an alignment shop and ask for an alignment... they will let you know what is worn and can probably replace them for you too.

Also, if you have the same steering box as a 4x4, try this

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-steering.html

Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 PM
broylz

thats awesome, ill try that this weekend, actually tuesday or wednesday as thats my weekend.

Quick Reply: Sloopy Steering Fixes?