2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sluggish on takeoff - tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 PM
kf4ayw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish on takeoff - tranny?

Ok guys this truck is beginning to **** me off. Today coming home from my son's bday party the truck starting hesistating on take off, sounding like the engine was bogging down. Just had a new cat installed back in Jan, so I wouldn't think it was that. Maybe torque converter/tranny?

1998 1500 5.9L 4sp auto/od - not sure what type of transmission is in the @#$%#$% thing. Dark and raining out now, will have to crawl around it later. Nothing in the truck manual and I can't find anything on-line to help.

Tell me what you think? Good or bad, anything will help.

Michael

Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, you didn't look very hard online. There are two issues that could be your issue, and they are covered almost daily. You have more than one post, so I know that you have seen us tell people to use the search.

Think about these two items: IAC, and TPS.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Trey318
Captain

Your truck should have a 46re.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Originally Posted by Trey318
Your truck should have a 46re.
That's probably what it is, but you can find out for sure by looking at the inside of the hood right behind the grille. Or by asking for a build sheet from your dealer.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 AM
kf4ayw
Amateur

Honestly, I spent two hours this evening searching and didnt find a thing that match the issue I had or I wouldn't be here asking for help!

But I will see how your two suggestions play into my troubles.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kf4ayw
Honestly, I spent two hours this evening searching and didnt find a thing that match the issue I had or I wouldn't be here asking for help!

But I will see how your two suggestions play into my troubles.

Thanks
No problem. Also, don't worry, you can call me an ***. You won't hurt me feelings since I already know I am one.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM
kf4ayw
Amateur

Just now finding time to look at this problem. Crawled into it the other day to move it.
This time it is giving me the engine light. Drove down to the auto parts for eval of the code, Speed sensor on the tranny. So I will change that out and remove the TB today at work to clean it and the IAC and see what happens next.

Any other Suggestions?

Michael

Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the cat was bad , get familiar with this word, Plenum! Pull the plugs and see what they look like. And while you have the TB off, look inside the intake with a small round mirror and flashlight and let us know how much oil is in there.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:36 PM
kf4ayw
Amateur

Originally Posted by zman17
If the cat was bad , get familiar with this word, Plenum! Pull the plugs and see what they look like. And while you have the TB off, look inside the intake with a small round mirror and flashlight and let us know how much oil is in there.

Pulled the TB off and on top of the Plenum is a fine coating of oil, no puddling or large quantity like I have read about. Cleaned the TB and all the ports so hopefully this will help. Changed out the Speed sensor on the tranny and it seems to be shifting better, but will not be able to take it out on the road for a GOOD test until in the morning. At work, doing all this stuff..... Did find that the Gound cable had a bad connection, fixed that also.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciated it. If this doesn't work will look into the solenoid and stuff next.

Michael

Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM
mjedlicka
Default sounds like tranny in safe mound

This is my first post as I'm a noob so bear in mind I'm no Dodge expert. Sounds like the tranny is starting in second gear, which indicates to me that it's in safe mode. Another way to check this out is at highway speed to push your OD off button. Chances are tranny will kick down into second gear and your engine will rev way up past what it would in third. There's alot of posting about the 46re, seems like a sketchy tranny and along with the disintegrating dashboard a classic problem with this make/model. Have a tranny shop check the pan for friction material. It's probably floating around causing issues.
Be kind to me, experts. Like I said, I'm real new at this.

Quick Reply: Sluggish on takeoff - tranny?