2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown rear oil seal.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they are trying to tell you in their own way, is that maybe the brakes gave out for a reason. Maybe you should be looking at upgrading your brakes or upgrading your truck or something because even at a snails pace, that much weight will take a boat load of space to stop (like the way I threw the boat in there?). You could kill someone by doing this stuff.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotta feed them horses
My truck was modified JUST for towing. A lot less weight with bigger gears and a sturdier axle and suspension. You do the math.
Dude, you're an imbecile. My truck was setup to tow. I have both the factory towing AND camper packages. Even still, the max ANY V10 2500 is rated to tow is 13,400 lbs. Even a 3500 dualie isn't rated to tow more than that. Keep doing what you're doing. I only hope you don't kill any innocent bystanders when your stupidity catches up with you.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:03 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

tbh i'd like to see this boat.. post pics

Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you say that your rear brakes are covered in oil, is it gear oil or brake fluid?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Dr Donut
Veteran

suspension mods and gears have nothing to do with your truck not being able to stop this lol

Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

The brakes are covered in gear oil from the rear diffrential i think. I went over them with a rag but the oil has soaked into the shoes. I'm pretty sure that even if i just replace the shoes more oil will seep in and soak those within days. I'm taking it all apart tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

I havent been able to find the drums for less than $200 and they can't be turned. I guess I'll replace those later. I have to replace the seals though because the shoes are soaked in oil and the front brakes are doing most of the stopping. LOL... I just saw that you wrote that "that's even more than my truck can tow". Well lets see. You have a quad cab with 4x4, no 5th wheel and 4.10 gears. I have single cab 2wd a dana 80 axle with 4.56 gears and helper springs on the rear suspension and electronic brake controller. My truck was modified JUST for towing. A lot less weight with bigger gears and a sturdier axle and suspension. You do the math.
that still don't make up for the frame, i suppose its stock
and before you start to say anything...
...i know about towing, as part of my job on the farm, i drive 80,000 lb tractor trailer rigs, when they get overloaded, you can tell (and thats on a rig that has a much heavier frame that your 1 ton)

yea, i have overloads on my truck too, that don't mean a damn thing for the rest of the suspension, brakes, axles, or frame though

Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Well I got the drums off and had to borrow an impact wrench to get the drive shafts out but it all came apart witout event. I got the seals out with some vice grips. Im taking a short break before I go out to put the new seals in and everything back together. I had to but a hug socket to get the bolt holding the whole assembly on which cost me $23 and the eals were $21 each. I don't really know much about drum breaks so I'm going to take the truck to the midas right down the street from me to hve the new shoes and hardware installed. I have been reading all of the posts about how unsafe it is to tow over the truck's capacity. Ive done it several times without any problem excpet for this last time. I know a guy who has a ford f800 with the hitch I need to tow this boat and he only wants $1500 for it. It has hydraulic breaks and a cummins diesel in it. Might be a good investment even though I won't really be moving this boat around much more now that the bottom is painted and the rigging has been fixed. I should have my truck back together in the next few hours and down to midas. Ill snap some pictures of my boat with my phone when i go back down to move her and hopefully she will be hooked up to a semi ( but I can't promise anything, it might be an ugly old ram). Thanks for all the criticism and no help with the brakes.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why don't you save the money and do them yourself? Just get the parts and do one side at a time so you have the other side for reference. And btw, I think you should have replaced the bearing too.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I havent been able to find the drums for less than $200 and they can't be turned. I guess I'll replace those later. I have to replace the seals though because the shoes are soaked in oil and the front brakes are doing most of the stopping. LOL... I just saw that you wrote that "that's even more than my truck can tow". Well lets see. You have a quad cab with 4x4, no 5th wheel and 4.10 gears. I have single cab 2wd a dana 80 axle with 4.56 gears and helper springs on the rear suspension and electronic brake controller. My truck was modified JUST for towing. A lot less weight with bigger gears and a sturdier axle and suspension. You do the math.
If your getting oil on the shoes then your axle seal is shot and allowing gear oil to pass through. btw the front brakes always work a little more than the rear that's why they need replaced more often.

Also that's nuts to tow 10 tons, but lets see chevy or ford do it

Quick Reply: Blown rear oil seal.....