2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sloppy steering symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sloppy steering symptoms

Hey all, I am well aware of the sloppy steering issues on these trucks and mine is suffering from it as well, but my question is what exactly are the signs and symptoms of it, besides the obvious steering wheel play? Mine has a distinct clunking sound, and it feels like its right in the steering shaft. I checked out the front end about 3 months ago and found the left front wheel bearing was on its way out, so I changed it and the noisy U joint behind it. I thought maybe that was a lot of the problem, and it seemed to help it a bit, but lo and behold a couple months later it started getting bad so I checked it out again and the bearing was bad again. That was about a month ago and I replaced the bearing under warranty. Well, it's still got the clunk in it, and I just came in from another front end check up and everything seems good and tight. Ball joints, tie rods etc. all good, and the bearing is still holding up. I even checked out the U joints on the steering shaft, because it kinda felt like they were bad loose, but they are good and tight as well.

Back in April, I made a thread here about the steering stabilizer shock, which I bent while offroad and had to take it off right there because the truck would not steer to the right. I was wondering if it really made much difference to leave it off, and most of you said it shouldn't be that much different, but now I'm thinking it should have one on there. I also plan to do the steering box fix in the DIY very soon.

Long story short, could my lack of a steering stabilizer, combined with the sloppy steering box, cause this clunking sound and feel in the steering? It feels kinda like a bad tie rod end, but like I said, they're ok.

As for the shock, is it a special shock or could I just take it in and match up a shock of the same size? I'd kinda like to get a Rancho stabilizer or something similiar because I like the look of them on the front axle.

sorry for the long read!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, checked it over again real good tonight and it turns out it is the lower ball joint on left side , after using a longer bar to check them. The lower has quite a bit of play and the upper isn't bad but I'm gonna change both anyway... its the same sound and feel that I could feel in the wheel.... I'm still gonna do the steering box mod and steering stabilizer also.

So is it a big deal to change the ball joints on these trucks? I see they are pressed in and would probably be a bitch to get out. I hate to say it but I think I'm just gonna get a local garage to change them tomorrow, because I need it by thursday to go to an AC/DC concert and don't have the time (or patience)to do it myself.

just wanted to mention this, in case it helps someone else

Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ball joints wouldn't be a big deal. after you take the hub/brakes off and the axle out then they will be right there with nothing in the way.

http://pavementsucks.com/tech/balljoint.php

if the u joints are tight then they are bad because that means that the grease is gone and they are seized. unless you mean that you grabbed it while its still installed, then you would be right and tight is how they should be. i thought my passenger side u joint was fine becuase it was tight on the truck but when i took that axle out i found out that 2 of the caps were locked up.

Quick Reply: sloppy steering symptoms