2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM fault codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:28 PM
raygauthier245
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM fault codes

hi there !!
this is my problem is a fault code .
I have a 97 Dodge Ram laramie 5.9L 360 with a code that reads

Code 43 Ignition coil circuit #
Open or short in number # coil circuit. Indicates that the ignition coil's peak primary circuit current is not achieved with the maximum dwell time.

but if you go under the truck it makes a noise like a rattle like small rocks in a coffee can coming from the catalytic converter and it is just beside the transmion hard to tell if it from the transmion or catalytic converter.
When i am driving a have a lack of power and you can here the rattle.
So my Question is can a catalytic converter bring up this codes or is my truck in bad need of help
Did this happen to anyone
[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: PCM fault codes

sounds like 2 problems to me... 1) your cat is bad because of the rattle, the brick in there is split and the rattle you hear is the brick banging around in there. 2) your coil code sounds like the one you get when you install an aftermarket ignition like an MSD, I have the same problem right now and it's because it needs an MSD 8910 tach adapter installed. if you have the stock igntion setup, then your coil is probably going bad. swap in a 8228 MSD coil, (you might need the accell adapter for the wiring)

start with your cat...

Quick Reply: PCM fault codes