2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low compression in cyl# 6 have a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcss8541
Ok I'll check on that. Thanks!
I'm going to try that hose method you stated but I want to make sure I got it correct. If it's NOT sucking from both holes then I'm ok but if it is I have to pull the plenum again and redo the sealing thing again correct???????

Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by zman17
If the plenum is bad , maybe there is just a lot carbon on the valves in that cylinder. Maybe a Seafoam treatment or two might clear it up. But you have to fix the plenum.
Yeah Zman I'm going to redo the Seafoam thing again. 3M has a product included in their $54 kit where you position the hose near the butterflys of the TB and set the engine RPM's to 1000. You press the button on the can and it sprays this cleaner down into the intake cleaning everything from the intake, to valves, cylinders, etc. The bad thing is I don't want to pay $54 for a kit and I'm only using the 1 product. Seafoam here I come. Is it bad to leave the Seafoam in over night to get a good soaking?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Couldn't tell you about leaving the Seafoam in. I just did what the can says on it.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
revvinram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote.....
I'm going to try that hose method you stated but I want to make sure I got it correct. If it's NOT sucking from both holes then I'm ok but if it is I have to pull the plenum again and redo the sealing thing again correct???????
.................................................. .................................................. ......

Thats correct...

Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would pull the TB and look down the intake with a small mirror and flashlight. I have been doing the test the other way for a while, thought I had a good plenum gasket , but it was blown.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by revvinram
Quote.....
.................................................. .................................................. ......

Thats correct...
where am I checking for suction??????? do i remove the hoses from the pvc and the driver side valve cover where the hose goes into and check both hoses for suction???? I know the pvc hose will suck in air because that's where I do the Seafoam treatment and it would seem that the other hose would do the same because it enters on top of the airfilter box? Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by zman17
I would pull the TB and look down the intake with a small mirror and flashlight. I have been doing the test the other way for a while, thought I had a good plenum gasket , but it was blown.
well this week I added 2 cans of Seafoam to the tank and filled her up and on the second day the CEL went off on it's on. When the tank got low it came back on. I have not checked the code(s) yet but the truck ran much smoother. I did the Seafoam treatment in the intake by attaching a 3/8's hose to the inlet side where the pvc hose attaches and stuck the other end in the can of Seafoam and reved up the engine until the can was empty then I shut her down for about 15 minutes then restarted the engine and let it idle ( driving makes too much white smoke when that stuff is burning off. I'm going to try the 2 cans in the tank again and check the results. Either way I'm going to redo the intake gaskets and recheck. I think it was carbon build up on the valve more so than the slightly lower compression becuase Seafoam has nothing to do with raising the compression.

Quick Reply: Low compression in cyl# 6 have a question