2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thouble shifting autotrans

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 AM
bigskymike_mt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thouble shifting autotrans

my 2001 360 has been acting up. im having trouble shifting gears 1-2 and 2-3. usually it shift really easy, revs up to 2000rpm and shifts the next gear and goes down to 1500rpms. what its doing now is reving up to 2100rpms then going down to 1800rpms and staying there until i get to about 30mph. my trans fluid is still good color and smell. i brought it to a trans machanic he said its the engine and suggested a tune up. i did that and its still doing it. i think it might have something to do with the throttle valve. am i on the right track? and help it appreciated!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

The lower shifting gears are controlled by the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. You can pick the pair up from a trans supply shop for about $120ish and swap them out. I rebuilt my trans last year and was having a similar issue and I swapped them out and it shifts like a dream now!

Good Luck...

Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for the sensor and solenoid. Throttle valve, not sure what that is, but it won't have much, if anything, to do with the transmission and shifting.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
snooked321

ok so mine has the same issue and always have. So if not the sensor and solenoid does anybody else have any ideas? Would be nice to get this resolved. Bigskymike, if find anything out please post it, I would like to know.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM
bigskymike_mt

Originally Posted by dblj16380
The lower shifting gears are controlled by the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. You can pick the pair up from a trans supply shop for about $120ish and swap them out. I rebuilt my trans last year and was having a similar issue and I swapped them out and it shifts like a dream now!

Good Luck...
thanks for the info! thats really helpful. is you might assume, this is kinda a spooky thing to deal with, being a trans and all. ill thalk to my mach about it.

Originally Posted by jasonw
+1 for the sensor and solenoid. Throttle valve, not sure what that is, but it won't have much, if anything, to do with the transmission and shifting.
the TV controls the amount of throttle the engine give and so on...

thanks everyone!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:27 PM
bigskymike_mt
Red face

i found a post just like this one. same symptoms.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram/200892-tranny-surge-problems.html
hope this helps anyone having to same problems.

Quick Reply: thouble shifting autotrans