2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What are the steps to setting my timing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so is there anything risky about doing this? I do plan on getting a superchips either the 3815 or the newer cortex.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:47 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what ive heard it can cause pinging

Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

If you end up getting a 3815, put the CPS back to its stock position. The Superchips fixes the "death flash" (retarded timing) the proper way, by reprogramming the computer. If you leave the CPS "modded and program the PCM with the Flashpaq, you'll get your timing way to advanced.

Like others said, if you haven't fixed your leaky plenum gasket yet, you will ping (either way you do it). If you haven't fixed it yet, yes, it is leaking.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
If you end up getting a 3815, put the CPS back to its stock position. The Superchips fixes the "death flash" (retarded timing) the proper way, by reprogramming the computer. If you leave the CPS "modded and program the PCM with the Flashpaq, you'll get your timing way to advanced.

Like others said, if you haven't fixed your leaky plenum gasket yet, you will ping (either way you do it). If you haven't fixed it yet, yes, it is leaking.
Last Tuesday I actually finally finished all of my planned projects on the pickup. Replaced the plenum with the hughes plate, hot tanked the manifold, new water pump, new 180 thermostat, new comp cam double roller timing chain, new belt, gaskets and a thorough cleaning job of the engine and a engine/radiator flush, and got a good deal on some of the Q-Power full synthetic oil for $20 when you buy 5 quarts and did my oil again. Now I just need the money to get the superchips, but I want to try and do the CPS mod anyways. Just for now.

Quick Reply: What are the steps to setting my timing?