2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:17 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black1998ram
yeah i definitly wanna go with the nv4500 but finding my truck 5speed is hard enough let anlone in the junk yard. now if i find a tranny out of say a regular cab longbed will i have to have a new driveshaft? or would mine work?? i know i want to change it to 5speed cuz i know the auto trannys are junk. i know mine isnt going to hold much longer so i figured id start my research now save up and piece it together so i should have everything by the time my decides to go.

It doesn't matter what variation the truck is (reg. cab/ext. cab, long box/short box), you will need new drive shafts, front and rear. Even if you get them from the same variation truck, the auto and manual are different lengths.

Do you want to change to a 5 speed because the auto's are "junk", or because you want a 5 speed? An auto tranny (even the 46re/rh ) can be built to handle power and last, and for much less money and headache than swapping a 5 speed in (depending on how you shop for swap parts). Plus you will have a "new" tranny as apposed to a "junkyard" 5 speed.

Someday I will be doing this swap, but only because I am sick of an auto and miss a manual. I have already got a nicely rebuilt auto (just under $3000), so it might not be for a while.

The easiest way to do the swap in my opinion is to snag a donor truck for a good deal (like the one mentioned above), that way you have everything... and thats A LOT of stuff. You will still have to get your PCM flashed from what I understand.

Last edited by olyelr; 08-26-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM
bruno426
Captain

one thing that is not mentioned here is the pilot bearing, on the 318's like mine at least, you will have to get a new engine or swap the crank, the auto cranks have no pilot bearing hole.

In my case I swapped, but because I gave up on finding a new truck, built the 318 a little and swapped the crank and computer, took some firewall mods to get the pedals to be right, but not too bad.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see the bill adding up higher and higher every time someone else posts.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruno426
one thing that is not mentioned here is the pilot bearing, on the 318's like mine at least, you will have to get a new engine or swap the crank, the auto cranks have no pilot bearing hole.
This is 100% false. I did an auto to manual conversion in my truck about a year ago. All you need to do to is go do the dealership and get the sleeve with the pilot bearing already in it that presses into the end of the crankshaft.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-5-2l-4x4.html

You will need a flywheel specific to the 5.9L, you cannot substitute a 5.2L flywheel because the two engines are balanced different.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 PM
ChevyWood83
Default pedal help

Originally Posted by bruno426

In my case I swapped, but because I gave up on finding a new truck, built the 318 a little and swapped the crank and computer, took some firewall mods to get the pedals to be right, but not too bad.
We have a 1994 Dodge Dakota 318. It was a automatic that we changed to a 5speed manual. Can't seem to engage slave cylinder with the boneyard pedal assembly. We need another 2" in the throw of the plunger. Can you share pics of your firewall mods?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:15 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

this is a 4 year old thread

Quick Reply: auto to manual conversion