2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:48 PM
rampage99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new stereo

I'm looking at a new deck for my ride. So far I think the Pioneer DEH-P77DH is going to be the best for performance and a good look for the Stock dash. I am also hoping it will accomodate future upgrades as finances allow......any useful opinions??? Thanks

Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 AM
waterbug1999
Rookie
Default RE: new stereo

It says it has an input for a CD changer which is cool. But I would make sure that if your gonna throw an amp or two on as an upgrade, To make sure it has the outlit for RCA plugs. Other wise, you are going to have to splice into wires and that is a cheap way of doing it in my opinion.
I think you can get a better one for the $259 price tag. Just get a wire harness and the adapter for the mount and call it good. But, i guess it all depends on the "upgrades" your are going to do.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:11 PM
nmason
Veteran

i got a $350CDN Kenwood CD/MP3 Deck last year. made a world of difference with the sound quality, and mp3s are cool. came with a remote, has cd changer capabilities, rca outputs on the back (2 pair i believe), and is sirius radio ready.

then i got a pair of infinity 6X9s for $179CDN. now it just sounds awesome. good highs, and the bass isnt too bad either. everything comes out nice and clear now.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:27 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think for the price you can get a better one and I would get a single din unit and use the mounting kit then you can also swap it over to other vehicles should you decide to later down the road. I have had good experiences with JVC Aresonal's and Alpine. I don't know about the regular JVC line but I have an Aresonal in my car and liked it a lot imporved the SQ a lot and just was overall really nice. I needed a HU for my older truck still though so I decided to go with an Alpine do to everyones praises of them. I overall was dissapointed. It is a great HU and I would reccomend it and might buy one again but it didn't sound as clean as the Aresonal and got distorted slightly when turned close to all the way up which I only did testing it I normally don't do but the JVC goes a lot louder without getting distorted. I have other friends with Alpines and they are nice they just arnt as good as the JVC Aresonal imho. Eclipse HU's are good also. Some people I have talked to through the net swear by JVC'
Aresonaland one of them is a guy that owns a car stereo shop he also really likes Alpine and Eclipse stuff too though he just seems to like the Aresonals better and that is what he runs in his car.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with the stock stereo in my 01 ram is that the main place it was lacking was in the bass it didn't hit at all and what little it did was distortion. I have to say some of the worst sounding bass I have heard even for speakers. I added a 330 watt amp and Kicker Comp VR sub to the stock HU and it helped out a whole lot. Since it isn't my daily driver I don't know if I will change the rest. My plan was too but it sounds pretty good now and I like I said it isn't my daily driver and my other 2 cars have systems but I'm not sure I need one in here. The truck already had the wiring which was 4 guage street wires as the guy that owned the truck before me must have had an amp and I assume a sub too so I didn't have to run wires either although I like doing stuff like that so I wouldn't have minded if I did although I like not having to buy the $60 kit.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:28 PM
CousinLk

Anyone know about the Kenwood KDC-119? Back when I drove a F150 it had a Pioneer which sounded 100 times better then this Kenwood does that came with my 98 Dodge Ram 1500, and I have the 6x9 in the two front doors and some smaller ones in the back two doors, but no matter how I adjust it it still sounds like crapola!

Quick Reply: new stereo