2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Wont Start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Soldaun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if it clicks it's a bad thing, or good?

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Oops sorry. You should feel them click once when they energize. You won't feel them disengage because it is a soft off relay design. If you don't feel it click it is bad. the quick way to check is to swap the horn and ASD relays and see if it starts. Make sure you have good battery connections or it could cause the same problem as though you have bad relays.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like you have everything under control speeddemon. carry on....

Old 08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
sounds like you have everything under control speeddemon. carry on....

Thanks. but I took a chunk of info you posted a while back and put it to use in this post so the real compliments should go to you..

Old 08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
dungholio
Default try...

try spraying a little starting fluid through the intake. if the truck starts then dies, its a fuel pressure problem, even if the fuel pump is turning on, there still may not be enough pressure. if the truck wont start even with the starting fluid, then its an elec. problem.

with my truck i had a problem with it taking longer then normal to start up, and gas mileage going down, so i replaced the fuel pump, now it starts faster, has more power and now i get better mileage because im not getin after it as much, so good luck

Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, that asd relay is screwy. its hit and miss about if it will fix a bog down and die scenario but sometimes people get lucky. i always tell people to check that first because its free. when mine went bad i replaced the IAC and the TPS before i found out that it was a 10$ relay.

soldaun, did you fill the torque converter before you put the transmission in? i believe you are supposed to.
and have you checked the fuel pressure yet? you might have had a chunk of sediment get past the filter in the tank and plug up a fuel line.
transmission fluid level shouldn't have anything to do with engine operation.
have you checked to make sure you are getting spark from the coil wire and from the spark plug wires? either the cap, rotor, wires or plugs might be to blame.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 08-30-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:47 PM
dungholio
Default Like i said!!!!

all you guys are making this to hard for this guy!!! spray some starting fluid down the intake. if it doesnt even try to fire up, then you can start chasing down ele. problems. if it does fire up, then dies, thats due to it burning off the starting fluid, there for the problem is not enough fuel pressure. also on dodges, the battery has to have a perfect charge. if the battery has a dead cell but still has power to turn over, well it won't fire up cause the ****ty computers these trucks have, will not allow it to fire up, or even not run well. this is a pretty dam easy problem to fix guys, so comeon!!

Quick Reply: Truck Wont Start!