2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine stumbles when cold...

Old 09-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Trey318
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason your new one is shorter, is probably because your old one was froze up fully extended, blocking off that port. That plunger is supposed to move to allow it to open or close that port.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM
BigGiy

Aha... yes, that's exactly right, the new one was much shorter!

-Rich

Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 AM
BigGiy

Well I thought this problem was over and done with, but alas, this morning she started to stumble slightly again

I also noticed it took about 6 seconds of cranking to get her started. The problem is about 98% resolved, but I would love to be back where I was last month - tap the key and she purred like a kitten!

So now I have cleaned the TB and replaced the IAC and most of the problem is gone. Now I have this delayed start problem. Can anyone give me some insight?

Also, what is the sensor on the side of the TB? Should that be replaced as well?

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-starting.html

insight^

the sensor on the side of the tb is the throttle position sensor. the one on the front is the map sensor.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
dodge6

Check your evap purge solenoid. If its leaking thru, especially in hot weather, it will flood the manifold with gas vapor and you'll have to crank it till it blows out the rich mixture. Even if its bad, it may not set the check engine light. I had long crank time and rough running for a few seconds and the purge solenoid was the problem. Pull it off and gently blow in either port, should not leak thru, if does needs cleaned or replaced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine stumbles when cold...