2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard to start, can't figure it out ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
dc3500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start, can't figure it out ...

This one's got me stumped, and I need some advice.

My truck: '95 DC3500, turning 150,000 miles this week (hopefully)
Pertinent components I've replaced within last 2 years: Both batteries, fuel shutoff solenoid, starter

Symptoms: Very hard to turn over, like the batteries are almost dead. Once it does actually start, it runs fine. Measured voltage (at battery) when truck is running is nearly 14, when I shut it off the voltage trickles down to about 12.95 and stays there for at least 5 minutes. The next morning the voltage is at 12.6. I hop in, turn the key to warm up the plugs, then fire it up and again it's almost like the batteries were dead. At this point I'm _nearly_ sure it's not the alternator because it seems to be generating the voltage it needs to. I took the batteries up to AutoZone and they tested fine, which I figured because the headlights don't dim when the truck is turned off. So then I figure maybe there's corrosion somewhere in the battery cables, so yesterday I replaced both negative-terminal-to-ground cables. I replaced the cable that connects the positive terminals between the two batteries. I didn't replace the positive-to-starter cable, but I did replace the terminal it connects to and I checked the connection at the starter and it looks as new as it did when I replaced the starter last year.

So, what am I missing? I did notice in the several times I've started it since this began happening that the volt meter in the dash doesn't always show the same reading. Sometimes it's just over 14v, sometimes it's right at 14v, and a couple of times it's been slightly under 14v. From what I can tell, though, the charging system and batteries are doing what they're supposed to. It just seems like maybe something's loading the system when I try to fire it up and I just can't figure out what.

Any input is _greatly_ appreciated.

-Z

Quick Reply: Hard to start, can't figure it out ...