2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to the Dodge world!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 02:53 PM
trptman
Rookie

Originally Posted by lastrights
these trucks are work horses throw w/e on, i atruck just to drive i see your happy with your dodge lol
what?

I've had a dodge truck for a total of about 2 weeks. so far I'm happy with it.

I'm just saying to the guy from my experience towing with other vehicles etc. that he better make sure he's got the right set up to tow that much weight around.
If he's equipped to tow 4000 (pulling numbers out of the air as an example) lbs and he starts pulling 5000 around regularly, yeah he might be able to do it but over the long run he might be looking at some premature failures with a variety of things on the truck.
that's all I'm sayin.
The truck he's looking to buy might do the job just fine-I don't know the truck.
The OP just sounded like someone fairly young who hadn't maybe had that much experience towing. He can take or leave anything I said. I'm certainly no expert on Dodge trucks.

Old 09-03-2009 | 03:49 PM
slackwolfe
|

I talked to my local trailer shop to build me one rated for 10,000lbs, Thats not how much The load weights but id rather be safe then sorry, the racecar weights 2470lbs on the dot. Ive been pulling this same load for 2yrs now with my old 1998 silverado, but i beleave the truck has enough power and is realiable enough i just didnt know if i was going to have an exsecive amount of swaying or bouncing due to the lift. The guy im buying it from is a good friend and said to take it and see how it does pulling the racecar befor we start talking numbers.

Old 09-03-2009 | 05:16 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

well if you plan to tow a tranny cooler is what you want

Old 09-03-2009 | 06:10 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

I am out on this thread. Come hell or high water this kid is gonna find a way to tow his race car on that truck. Since I have been building and towing race cars since most of you on here were born, I'd thought I might be of assistance(trailers on the other hand, I have only been building for 15 years). Yet another sucker for big wheels and paint. Practicality be dammed. Good luck with it kid, but i don't think its gonna work out good for you.

Old 09-03-2009 | 07:43 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by Twisted Metal
I am out on this thread. Come hell or high water this kid is gonna find a way to tow his race car on that truck. Since I have been building and towing race cars since most of you on here were born, I'd thought I might be of assistance(trailers on the other hand, I have only been building for 15 years). Yet another sucker for big wheels and paint. Practicality be dammed. Good luck with it kid, but i don't think its gonna work out good for you.

Whats this post for^?

The guy didnt say anything negative. So whats the problem with him towing his car with it? As long as he keeps the tranny cool and serviced i see no problem with it myself. And why wont it work out good for him?

I dont see anything wrong with it. Id check the tranny fluid and all, then if all is well after checking the truck out id buy it. Then put a good cooler on for the trans and do the check valve delete and change the fluid and the filter. After that i think he'll be good.

I dont care much for the graphics on the side. Thats the ONLY thing i see wrong with it. But thats just My opinion.

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:37 PM
slackwolfe
|

Twisted metal- Ive been listening to what you have been saying so theres no need to get mad im just trying to figure out will the damn truck sway or bounce alot with the trailer and car. im not worried about stoping cause i have a brake controller and the drop hitch is no problem eaither the track is litteraly 15 miles down the road and I go there 2 days out of the week to practice and race the other 5 days im going to be drving the truck to school and work. And im not buying it for the shiny wheels and paint im buying it cause its what i can afford for the miles and my buddy is giving me a hell of a deal on it.

dodgepwr- Thanks for the help and im going to be looking into a transcooler, do dodges usaully have a problem with them getting hot? do you recomend a specific brand? And hopefully down the road i will be able to get rid of the graphics and a new coat of paint. there air brushed on there :/

Old 09-04-2009 | 07:29 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

yeah dont tow with OD on always have it off

Quick Reply: New to the Dodge world!