2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

reverse went out?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009 | 09:00 PM
jeff2323
|
Default reverse went out?!?!

the reverse gear in my truck went out today and now i dont know what to do?!

do i have to get my whole tranny rebuilt or can the gear just be replaced? sorry for the noob type question i just know nothing about auto transmissions

Old 09-04-2009 | 11:11 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

not trying to be (too much) of a smart ***, but try to limp to a transmission shop and stop at the bank on the way. find a local shop that at least one or two past customers will recommend. do NOT go to a shop with a bad reputation. let them check it out and prepare for the worst.

sometimes you can get away with a few new parts, such as sensors or solenoids or valves or pump or something. more often than not, when they die, they need a tear down, clean up, and rebuild kit installed. the kit is not overly expensive, its just all the labor that's required.

the actual gear almost never fails. its all the valves and ****.

rebuilds should be somewhere in/around, more or less, 1500. if its a lot more than that, ask why and get a second opinion.

Quick Reply: reverse went out?!?!