2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door speaker noise (High squeal at powerup)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Rezin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door speaker noise (High squeal at powerup)

I just bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SS/T. The stereo has this terrible squeal from only the passenger door 6X9. It goes away after a second or two, then comes back intermitantly.

I have put the stock head unit back in for now (Thinking it may have been the cheapie aftermarket unit that was in there, asz it also had a defective display, so I hoped the sound was the stereo, not the speaker.

I removed the door panel, and it looks like aftermarket speakers (not sure) but there is a little device attached, that goes into the stock harness.

The device is connected to the stock harness, then wiretied to the speaker housing (Why I assume it is an aftermarket speaker)

My question is what the heck is this device, is it needed, and if not, how can I splice the speaker directly? I may keep the stock stereo, I may buy an aftermarket one, but eiter way, I have a squeal in the speaker. And as I said, they look like nice speakers.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its the factory "infinity" amp that was originally attached to the stock speaker. it amps the door speaker and maybe the rears (not sure). i think (not sure) it was a cheap way to beef up the underpowered factory head.

it also has some funky wiring in the harness to carry 12v to the amp.

its sort of common to keep them and re-use them.

IMO the best solution is to install a decent powered aftermarket head unit (40 watts or more), (and maybe an amp) and just run new speaker wires and ditch that mysterious crap.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I believe Laramie has stated that these speakers are crappy, and the device you are looking at is the factory amp. By what I have read, you are probably better off getting new speakers and wiring them independent from the original wiring. That's what our official stereo expert Laramie would recommend.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Rezin

I had basically planned on a new system, but thought it was worth a try. Thanks for the replies!

Quick Reply: Door speaker noise (High squeal at powerup)