2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM
eegurrola
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak on transfer case

Need help!
found a leak on my transfer case. Looked like something was
rubbing up against it from the inside?isealed the crack with j.b. weld
drove around ok no leak.but i stared hearing a clunking noise. went down under and found that i have a lot of play on front drive line.is this normal?well it recently started leaking again from a different spot right above original one.looks like maybe there is a gear inside that came loose.i dont know does any body got any ideas?would appreciate the help
its a2003 dodge ram 2500 4x4 thank you.
eddie

Old 01-23-2018, 10:07 AM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gotta drop the case like I had to do. Replace seal at trans output. Then take the case to a workbench and open it up, take it apart. See if something broke in there and cracked one of the halves of the case, or both. Something like that may have happened and cracked your case half, or halves. If one or both halves cracked, buy them separately or maybe try to repair crack, I'd prob buy new case half.

Buy whatever's broke inside. Then get rebuild kit if bearings and stuff are shot, like 99 to how ever much you want to spend for kits. Buy about 4 seals for the case too. The seal at the retainer has to be replaced, and the seal at trans output. Get some Mopar or permatex, some friction lube, a shop manual, correct tools, t case saver, and put it all back together.

While it's off, look at the d shaft u-joints. Replace those if bad. Or do it anyway. Change diff fluid at both axles if needs it. You know, while it's up in air. Visually check the motor/tranny mounts while you can get a good view.

Put case back on truck and go climb smthn!
(Btw, might want to bench test the case before putting back on)

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Leak