2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:35 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assumed he already knew what that meant.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
thats a good bit of info.
you forgot to mention what asd stands for though. its automatic shut down, which is exactly what it does when that relay has problems.
It's not when the relay has issues that it shuts down. The PCM controls this relay and, when it detects a fault such as no crankshaft position voltage, it kills power to the relay thus shutting down the whole system.

When the relay has an issue, it keeps working despite being faulty thus affecting all the other circuits in the vehicle.

Don't assume that it simply just shuts everything off as it's primary job. Yes, it's a failsafe mechanism but, it also does much more than just a kill switch.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I know what a relay is and does. I just wasn't sure what the ASD one was used for. But still a lot of great info. I'll swap it with another relay and see if the pump will engage properly or not. A couple of $15 relays is a heck of a lot better than replacing that pump!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Ok, not a problem with the solenoids. It died again this morning while driving. But this time it started right up again and has been starting fine and running fine ever since. The odd thing is it does it so smooth. I am generally coasting down a hill and it shuts off and I don't even notice until I try to brake, steer, or give it gas. It doesn't sputter at all.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

.....removed (doubleposted y post)

Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

im having a starting issue myself. when i disconnect the battery, i have to have someone cranking the key while i drop the terminal to bypass whatever is in my truck.

but since i did som electrical work to the blinkers, i cant get it started now. even wit the terminal thing. wont even crank thre s nothing when i turn the key but everythin comes on when i turn key on (lights chimes etc. headlights turn on fine.)

could i have shorted the relay you people talked about?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:57 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

swap that relay out, for the fuel pump relay, and pretty much just play with it. i know i need to figure out whats goinon with mine though.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I guess it could be the crank position sensor, the cam position sensor, or the fuel pump. All of which are a royal pain to change. Any thoughts on what it could be? There doesn't seem to be a good test method for any while on the truck. There are no codes and it is very random. I'm at a loss as to what to replace right now.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

You have the main ones right there other than a funky coil which will also cause that same thing to occur. Intermittent coil perhaps.

The sensors are not that bad once you do them and get into it. Just have to really lay on the engine and sit in the fender well to get a good reach on the CKPS.

For the camshaft sensor, you will have to remove the air hat in order to gain access (if running the stock keg type of manifold). But, it's not too bad.

The evap canister also causes a die out condition when spent. According to Dodge, a stall condition can occur when that is spent and / or the fuel recovery system is not working properly. Usually around sharp left and right corners it will stall out for some reason they said.

Do you have an EGR on your truck? I had a guy come over with a Dodge van that was suffering from stalling and erratic idle condition. Turned out to be a spent EGR valve.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Got EGR. Not rough idle or poor running condition. It idles smooth and usually starts quick. The past two times it died was within 5 minutes after start and coasting down a hill at maybe 40 mph. It shuts off smooth like someone turned the key. There's no bucking or sputtering or anything rough. This last time it started right back up like nothin. I think this actually happened once about a year ago coming off a trail but at the time I had thought I had dropped the RPMs too low in 4L as I was coasting down a hill at maybe 5 mph. It took a few minutes after that to get it started back up and never did it again until recently.
But, again, the fuel gauge is still pegged at F so, that's at least something not right. That's why I lean more towards it as opposed to a sensor.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue