2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM
inman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranmission Problem?

Hi, I have an '01 Dodge 1500 5.9L 4x4 Automatic with 207000 miles on it. I don't drive off road with it nor do I run it hard. Last night in town I pulled up to a stoplight and when I took off it didn't upshift to either 3rd or 4th gear. I pulled over and everything seemed OK. I took off again and drove the 2 miles to my girlfriends house in 3rd gear.

Once there I checked the fluid level which seemed to be OK. I drove again last night and it drove fine. Then a few hours ago I was driving it and after about 6 miles I stopped at a stop sign and it did it again when I started.

I do my own work on the truck but have no experience with transmissions. But with my hours at work cut back I don't want to do a lot of trial and error without having some idea what the problem may be.

I've been reading through the posts but decided to go ahead and ask while I searched. Any ideas what the issue is?

Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When you are done searching, I think you'll find the most common solution or atleast a try, will be change fluid and filter and replace the gov. pressure sensor/solenoid while you have the pan off. Not too expensive and pretty easy to replace. You'll need to get that part from a local tranny shop.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can also get them at the dealership....both the govoner presser sensor and gov pressure soleniod should be changed....along with a good mopar gasket and 5 quarts of atf+4 (dont use dextron) it comes to a bit over $200.....or you could order them online for about a $130....
I did it a could weeks ago after mine went into limp home mode (first gear only) the day after I bought it....not too hard to do and the service manual I downloaded from here helped a lot

Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually erased my suggestion about going to the dealer, I just figured they would be way over priced. ;0

Quick Reply: Tranmission Problem?