2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 a518 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
akabehr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 a518 questions.

I recently rebuilt the tranny in my 94 ram and have a few problems. I did a stock rebuild with the exception of installing a Jr. shift kit and deleting the cooler line check ball. After reinstalling the tranny I've ran into these problems. When shifted to drive, it immediately stalls out. After diagnosis (be me and a professional mechanic friend of mine) we came to the conclusion that the torque converter is in full lock when shifted to drive, as well as manual low and 2, however reverse works perfectly. Jacking up the rear of the truck it will shift through all forward gears with no problem except the torque converter is fully locked all the time.

Now the things that have been tried, I have double checked the band adjustments and they are to spec, all the check ***** are in the right places, the vents on the solenoids are free and clear, and the fluid level is within spec (atf +4). I have tried with the solenoids disconnected, with the solenoids unbolted from the valve body and no changes. I'm clueless on this, and need some insight.

Now the other thing is there is some aluminum shavings suspended in the fluid as well as some extra small pieces in the pan, I'm not sure where this is from so I'm going to tear down the entire tranny again this week. Any insight as to what to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by akabehr; 09-13-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Bump.

Quick Reply: 94 a518 questions.