2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winshield Wipers are out...Electrical Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:34 AM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winshield Wipers are out...Electrical Problem??

Hey guys thew windshield wipers aren't working anymore. I put a new fuse in there and it blows everytime I start the truck. I have been through a whole pack of fuses. Is there a short somewhere? How do I go about solving this problems? Thx 4 any help guys!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its possible that the wiper wiring is pinched in the steering tilt and shorted to ground.

you can check that in a couple of way.
with battery disconnected, use an ohmeter to test the wiring at the fuse block. i would expect it to be open, and not grounded.

you can also unplug the wiper motor from the harness, and retest things with the motor connected.

if these tests point to a short, remove the covers from the steering column and check the wires around the tilt. it takes a security torx (hollow) to remove the multi-function sw.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 AM
palerider9999
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My airbag/clockspring and wiper wires were pinched in my 98 when I bought it. Also when I disconnected my chime, it messed up my wiper delay feature. I had to reconnect the chime to get that to work.. Could be a junk wiper motor as well. I had one in my 96 Jeep. Almost caught the thing on fire with a dead short..

Last edited by palerider9999; 09-14-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Winshield Wipers are out...Electrical Problem??