2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration at 41 to 48 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd carry the truck back to where you got the tires from, and just tell them you've got a vibration - can they check out the truck and check the tire balance ? let them inspect ball joints, tie rods, track bar, steering box, etc.

inspection and price quote should be no charge. especially if you bought tires there.

get a price quote on anything they recommend. ask em how that causes vibration... sometimes you get some good answers, sometimes you get BS. i see your truck is a 97, so you could have a lot of worn out parts.

your tire place - do they look like they have a properly calibrated balance machine and somebody that knows what they're doing ? or does it look like it hasn't seen any maintenance in 20 years and/or a not so sharp operator.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
97r/tram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today I crawled under the truck and decided to inspect the tranny mount. The rubber had some hairline cracks in it and I thought no big deal. Turns out, the vibration was coming from the transmission mount being worn. THE SOLUTION: I put a bolt thru the old exhaust hanger mount thats on the transmission mount and secured the bolt to the crossmember. The vibration was greatly reduced, and is almost non-existent. The stock dodge transmission mounts let the whole driveline vibrate up and down causing the vibration. My morning ride to school is no longer accompanied by a deep tissue massage at 45 to 49 mph.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
halfamil
All Star

Originally Posted by 97r/tram
Well today I crawled under the truck and decided to inspect the tranny mount. The rubber had some hairline cracks in it and I thought no big deal. Turns out, the vibration was coming from the transmission mount being worn. THE SOLUTION: I put a bolt thru the old exhaust hanger mount thats on the transmission mount and secured the bolt to the crossmember. The vibration was greatly reduced, and is almost non-existent. The stock dodge transmission mounts let the whole driveline vibrate up and down causing the vibration. My morning ride to school is no longer accompanied by a deep tissue massage at 45 to 49 mph.
That's some good information. I've had a vibration in mine lately, I'll check it. Was the whole transmission vibrating ?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 AM
bardram
Veteran

I have the same thing around 45mph. I wonder how many others.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
if its not the tires or the u joints then you might have an out of balance drive shaft. get under there and see if it has a weight welded to it. mine has a 1/2" x about 4" long weight on the side toward the front end.
Agreed, and the "clunk" in the transmission is not normal. U-joints typically clunk when shifting from Neutral to Reverse when they're worn.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may also need a degree or 2 shim for your pinion angle since you are dropped a bit in the rear, but most trucks dont need it until 4-6"

Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
97r/tram
Veteran

Well.......on my way to school this morning the vibration started again, this time I think it's worse than before. the vibration is more solid due to there being a solid mount under the tranny. The lowering shackles have been off of the truck for a while as I put 33's on it a month ago. I'm thinking of putting new u joints in the front and rear of the d-shaft. A few months back before I got new tires, I took my truck to kauffman tire and had them put it on the rack with one mechanic in the cab with the truck in drive. I had them bring it to 45 to 49 mph where I was experiencing the vibration and I saw both rear tires jumping up and down at least a half an inch at 45. The tire company said it was the tires and wanted to sell me new ones that day. I bought the new tires wholesale and had them mounted at a tire company so I could watch them do it. Could a bent axle cause this kind of problem?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rookie

Originally Posted by 97r/tram
Well.......on my way to school this morning the vibration started again, this time I think it's worse than before. the vibration is more solid due to there being a solid mount under the tranny. The lowering shackles have been off of the truck for a while as I put 33's on it a month ago. I'm thinking of putting new u joints in the front and rear of the d-shaft. A few months back before I got new tires, I took my truck to kauffman tire and had them put it on the rack with one mechanic in the cab with the truck in drive. I had them bring it to 45 to 49 mph where I was experiencing the vibration and I saw both rear tires jumping up and down at least a half an inch at 45. The tire company said it was the tires and wanted to sell me new ones that day. I bought the new tires wholesale and had them mounted at a tire company so I could watch them do it. Could a bent axle cause this kind of problem?
did the new tires help any?????

Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
halfamil
All Star

If it's a 2 pc. driveshaft, it could be the mid-shaft bearing.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

The new tires didn't help at all and it's a 1 piece driveshaft. What do I dump money on now?

Quick Reply: Vibration at 41 to 48 mph