2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need to re-wire speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are confusing the **** out of me. What the heck is wrong with my stock head unit? It works and I like it. Maybe I should find some speakers that work with the Infinity amps. I dont like having to go through the whole dash to re-wire the speakers.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the loose wiring and aging connections in the amps are likely the problem not the speakers.... this is usually the issue with many older premium systems. I had them in both my vette and my lincoln and the lincoln still acts up and it was soo bad on the vette I ripped it all out and started from scratch....fact is the stereo or amps are the most likely cause and running a new wire from each speaker to a regular stereo (factory one if it works ) is the only real way to find and make sure the issue is gone.
it was such a common issue for the amps to go bad on my vette their was a bunch of companies selling repaired and rebuilt ones on ebay when I ripped them out. fact is a aftermarket stereo is superior to the old "premium system" used in the older vehicles and way simplier to install and service.
try checking the connecter on the speakers maybe they are just loose or corroded if your lucky.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-16-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You do know I only spent 170 for my new deck with all of the good stuff I need IE: wiring harnest and spacer for the radio. I'm in the same boat as you I don't need big sound just better was all I was after. I'm going to do my doors and behind the seat to cut down on the muffler. If you think yours is anoying come sit in my truck.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
scottnfwi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you about getting into the dash,but it is night and day to go from stock head unit to say a nice alpine or something like that. i used to have a s10 blazer and rewired it all and it sounded like a million bucks.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

So we should really rewire out decks and speakers. Great!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't know what the plug into the deck looks like but i hope this help. http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf
from what i have heard the stock stereos put out better cleaner sound.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

stock stereos....(especially Chrysler) are definatly not superior than a major name brand head unit.....I've replaced so many broken Chrysler and ford units its not even funny...delco seems to be the most reliable of the three as far as my personal experience and the factory radio sounding better will only happen if the crappy 5 watt speakers are still in the vehicle....the higher power aftermarket one will overpower and cause the factory speakers to distort at lower levels than the factory one so You see its like saying you will get better drivablity with 3.55 gears than 4.56.....Really only applys if you have stock or close to stock tire size... there's more factors to consider. the same thing goes when you try to power 175 watt 6x9 speakers with a factory stereo....it will only sound better at all volumes if the original speakers were shot to begin with usually since the factory unit lacks the power to accuratly drive the higher power speakers they sound flat and tinny....

Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Purpl, you don't NEED a new H/U, but it's preferred. What you CAN do is use the fade/balance sliders or buttons on your factory deck to isolate Left front, Right front, Left Rear, and Right rear individually. Take a volt meter, and simply go through the wire loom looking for volt jumps. You will have to do this one at a time, and remember that each speaker has 2 sets of wires going to it.

What I'm going to say you need to do is run all new wire to the H/U. It will make life much easier in the long run. When you remove the factory amps, chances are, that you will end up splicing wires together to make up for the shortness in the wires.

There is a reason why Auggie and I are telling you to go ahead and get a new deck. The factory deck isn't all that powerful, and more than likely, the new speakers you put in your ram aren't going to get the required WATTS to work to their best potential.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

And another good reason is also that dodge and ford decks are notorious for developing shorts in the **** controls and fader/balance controls as dust and crap finds its way on the metal contact inside. If you find that when you try to adjust these slowly they seem to jump in and out then you can try to remove the ***** and spray contact cleaner inside the seem into the control mechanism. (with the power off) Give it a few minutes to dry and try not to overspray if you do try it as it can discolor plastic... radioshack sells it...
All three of my last ford work vans that I've owned since new have developed this short in the volume control **** to some degree and it turns itself up or down randomly every once in a blue moon. you can even see the level go up or down on the display. Its sooo annoying but if it were in the fader or balence controls only one or more speakers could be cutting in and out like my moms old Duster did

Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

So what there telling you is buy a new deck. No reason to get a flip out this and flip out that but one that will do the job. I only spent 170 for my deck.

Quick Reply: Need to re-wire speakers