2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I service Transmission @ 219,000 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I say pull the pan and do a drain and fill while replacing the filter.

Look the valve body over good to make sure you don't see any ATF laquering or dried up tranny fluid "crusties" in there. If you do, be wary. It typically means the fluid is very old and has probably lost it's cleaning additive package a long time ago. swapping in new fluid with a fresh cleaning additive package could potentially loosen up any accumulated gunk and clog up a vital passage in the valve body.

Also, DO NOT get a reverse flush at some tranny service station. It'll just blow whatever is in the tranny fluid filter straight thru the trans in reverse. Those shops use those machines solely for ease of service as they don't have to drop the pan or change the filter.

As mentioned earlier ATF+4 only on refill.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with 219k, its on at least its 2nd transmission, possibly more.
with normal pinkish fluid, its an indication its been serviced not too long ago.

so yeah, service away. you doing it yourself ?
btw, i'd leave the bands alone. if you don't have the right tools or know what you're doing you can do more harm than good.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/trans.php

Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 PM
sawtooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to the fresh ATF+4 and filter, you might have them check the tranny band adjustment. With that many miles, I'd stay away from a tranny flush which dealers are fond of peddling.
While at the dealer you might ask them to print out a build sheet with your VIN sheet and also check for recalls.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What would be wrong with getting it flushed?

if you don't have the right tools or know what you're doing you can do more harm than good.
So true....I learned it the hard way.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you not been around here long enough to know about the possible probs flushing the tranny can cause?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

ATF+3 is a semi synthetic where ATF+4 is a full synthetic. As Aim For Squirrels suggested look over the valve body real good for the crustie stuff. The ATF+4 being full synthetic may loosen that stuff up and cause it to clog the valve body. I would suggest(however this suggestion is costly) would be to drain, change the filter, reinstall pan and new gasket then fill with ATF+4. Start it up and run it for a few minutes shifitng back and forth between drive(including 1st and 2nd) and neutral then reverse. Then drain and and remove pan and remove valve body to remove all fluid then reinstall valve body, then another new filter, and pan gasket and then refill. I would also flush out cooler with new fluid. You can do that by removing one cooler line and let it run into a catch pan until fluid looks clean. Agian this is costly but it may save a tranny job. If the tranny is gunked up with sludge then a tranny rebuild will be in order. I am not trying to discourage you but I want you to know what could lie ahead. The ATF+4 is good fluid but on a high mileage tranny with an unknown service record then the potential for problems exist.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 PM
halfamil
All Star

I used the Mopar type 7176 ATF plus or equivalent(DEXRON III) in my 46rh for 368,000 mi. before a small part failed that had nothing to do with the fluid.Fluid and filter was changed only 3 times during that span of mileage.The guy that overhauled it said it was as clean as a new one.I have 75,000 on the rebuild and use +4 now.

Last edited by halfamil; 09-24-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
halfamil
All Star

Patrick,good luck with your truck and whatever you decide what to do,let us know how it plays out.That's one of the best contibutions to the forum.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Have you not been around here long enough to know about the possible probs flushing the tranny can cause?
Never seen it happen.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Never seen what happen ? The problem it can cause or the problem it can cause posted on here? LOL

Quick Reply: Should I service Transmission @ 219,000 ?