2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 5.2 rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
spudbud2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 98 1500 5.2 rough idle

i have a 98 1500 5.2 ram ive been having this problem for a while now. first off ill go ahead and tell you what i have replaced...about a week ago i put i new fuel pump, and a new IAC valve on still having the same problem though. but when i start up my truck everything is fine and dandy. after about 3 mins. ill get a loud hiss coming from my intake and my RPM's will just go crazy up and down (it kinda sounds like its camming) but it will do that until i rev up the motor then it will do it about 1 or 2 more times after that....it only happens when the motor is cold. but if i crank up cold and just go ahead and drive it down the road with out it messing up like that first, then it will be going fine then all of a sudden the truck will loose power and if i leave my foot on the accelerator it will make a sorta loud pop pop pop sounds coming from under the hood. i have to floor the accelerator to get it to stop doing that...then when ever it stops doing it....it runs like a dream. ive had people tell me that it is an air leak somewhere but im not sure.....or my programmer sending too much air through the intake....or my cold air intake....does anyone have the same problem or know anyone that has? or even better....any suggestions?????? thanks alot for reading this!!!

Quick Reply: 98 1500 5.2 rough idle