2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Frustrated with poor performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
PsychoRookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the information, I will be checking into the plenum today. I have also checked for the death flash, could not find one, but I did notice that the computer program module (I think that is what it’s called) appears to have been replaced do to the fact that it is all aluminum and appears to be new. From the pictures I have seen of the cpm’s, they are all black boxes.

The Rookie

Old 09-26-2009, 01:07 PM
PsychoRookie

I looked inside my plenum by peering through the carburetor; it looked oily with some debris. I guess ill replace this and see if it makes any difference.

The Rookie

Last edited by PsychoRookie; 09-26-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:17 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless the PCM is some sort of performance jobber, most likely death flashed by a $tealership. Yep, mine is black (I am assuming its the factory original), so your assumption about it being replaced at some point is probably true.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:37 PM
PsychoRookie

This is what i am needing correct? http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=24773

The Rookie

Old 09-26-2009, 09:46 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes that is a good up grade(more power)

but if you just want to keep it stock but never have plunem blow out again go this route
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...z&partid=22220

also will need a sum intake man bolts and gasket

all said and done around 150 dollars done or 600 for the air gap

best of luck and hope i helped

Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your original problem with poor MPG and rich smell is most likely the front 02, or maybe a bad injector. all that other BS about death flash and plenum is irrelevant to your problem.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 PM
PsychoRookie

Jasonw, i’m going to get the HUGHES / EDELBROCK FI AIRGAP KIT, and change out all the other stuff to be safe. I am also going to get an SCT 9950 ( hope this is the correct one) but I can’t seem to contact hemifever about programming it, do you have any other suggestions on who to go through to program one?

The Rookie

Old 09-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
your original problem with poor MPG and rich smell is most likely the front 02, or maybe a bad injector. all that other BS about death flash and plenum is irrelevant to your problem.
it funny that the front o2 was suggested in the first two responses as well and makes the most sense...but it seems to be falling on deaf ears? unless he changed it and just doesnt want to bother to mention it?.... I would think a blown plenum would cause poor performance overall but the if the death flash had anything to do with anything it would have been a problem since the day it was flashed and It does seem to be greatly exaggerated here as far as its effects.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 AM
PsychoRookie

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
it funny that the front o2 was suggested in the first two responses as well and makes the most sense...but it seems to be falling on deaf ears? unless he changed it and just doesnt want to bother to mention it?.... I would think a blown plenum would cause poor performance overall but the if the death flash had anything to do with anything it would have been a problem since the day it was flashed and It does seem to be greatly exaggerated here as far as its effects.

I am by all means not an expert at engines, and I looked into my Plenum and saw that is was not clean (as posted) so my assumption by all the great information I have received from you guys is that my plemum is also bad, which would in turn mess up my oxygen sensor. My computer that is on the passenger firewall appears to have been changes since it is aluminum, and not black like the pictures that I have seen. This would most likely mean that it was flashed at the dealership and would contain the bad flash. I figured if I just got the o2 sensor it would temporally fix my problem do to the fact that my plenum is probably bad and my computer has been flashed by the dealership. So my conclusion to all of this is if I was going to have the computer re-flashed I was going to get a SCT. I also figured if I was going to spend the money to have this done I might as well get the best intake I can before I do this. Please tell me if I am doing this all wrong.

The Rookie

Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry I didnt mean to come off sarcastic but if you have some soft of aftermarket pcm that would seem to me to be LESS likely to have a dealership update flash on it (maybe it has aftermarket performance flash on it) especially if it was replaced well after 01.(mines aluminuim too btw and seems to run great)... I would first go with the cheaper 02 sensor replacement so if it fixes it you at least actually know what was wrong and this way by doing it one thing at a time if something gets worse you'll have a better idea of what was done to cause it....The plenum upgrade thing is a good idea but it is just too often blamed for other problems it seems. the 02 sensor right before the cat directly controls the emissions by giving the computer the info to adjust fuel to air ratios.... so if its bad it will make your truck run rich or lean and you smell gas so thats my guess.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 09-29-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with poor performance